Hands-on: LG Optimus G and the Quad-core S4 Pro Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Rectangular form?! LG'd better be worried. Apple has patents in something of rectangular forms. They can at least claim that iPad has rectangular form and nobody can have rectangular form in their products. We should be seeing square or circle books soon.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
After the headaches my uncle had with his LG I've never considered a LG phone before, but damn! that's sexy.
2 gig of ram as well?
They need to make a Nexus with those specs and a micro sd slot.

G

Well since this isn't a Tegra powered device, we can expect to recieve good custom roms that are of the latest version and fully functioning.

The Optimus 2X can't get ICS/JB without sacrificing hardware acceleration thanks to nVidia's unwillingness to release drivers and LG's unwillingness to update the phones.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I'd be interested in this except for the lack of a micro-SD slot.

Beyond that is the non-replaceable battery. My current LG phone has a replaceable lithium-ion polymer battery. I'm on my sixth LG-branded replacement battery. These things stop taking a charge MUCH earlier than specified. So what is the expectation for this high-end smartphone? Send it in to LG when it will no longer take a charge?? That would be a major hassle. What do people actually do?

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Is Tom's going to start doing more mobile reviews? If so Hooray! Tom's used to have so many great reviews and nitty gritty hardware articles. I have been coming here since 1996 and have seen many changes here.

I like except no micro-SD and user removable battery. I know it allows a more compact solid feeling phone but it is a deal killer for me. I want to be able to back-up my phone to the Micro-SD card, then pull it out and install a custom ROM, then swap it back in, afterwards. And pulling the battery is sometimes the only way to reset a device if it locks up. I know a lot of iPhone and iTouch users who have had to wait out till their battery died because it locked up and would not reset manually.

G

on my andriod phone, there is a special way to reset the phone by simply pressing couple buttons at the same time for couple seconds. It will reset and reboot, no need to wait till the battery died. To reset my Xperia S, i just pressing the power and volume up button at the same time and it will reset in couple seconds. Its in the user manual too. Maybe your phone can do the same thing too?

Status
Not open for further replies.