Hands-On Video Of The Motorola Moto X Style/Pure Edition Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didenko

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Does the "Pure Experience" mean that OS updates will come directly from Google (like on the Nexus line) or that Motorola will still be the gate-keeper?

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Does the "Pure Experience" mean that OS updates will come directly from Google (like on the Nexus line) or that Motorola will still be the gate-keeper?

The updates come from Motorola, since the firmware still needs to include device specific drivers and the few custom Motorola apps.

- Matt Humrick, Mobile Editor, Tom's Hardware

Didenko

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
the firmware still needs to include device specific drivers and the few custom Motorola apps
Device drivers make sense, thanks for pointing it out. The apps though better be updated via store. Oh, well...

coupe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
To a lot of people, getting the phone out of contract for $400 doesn't matter since a lot of people get phones for $200 under contract. So they will see this phone as more expensive.

Motorola should work with phone companies to subsidize the cost.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
To a lot of people, getting the phone out of contract for $400 doesn't matter since a lot of people get phones for $200 under contract. So they will see this phone as more expensive.

Motorola should work with phone companies to subsidize the cost.

Interesting...I partially agree with you on the price issue. I mean, on one hand, $400 is not bad at all for a flagship killer...on the other hand, $400 is a lot of money. OnePlus 2 is cheaper, Asus ZenPhone 2 is cheaper, Lumia 640/640 XL are cheaper...but still very nice phones.

I don't want Motorola (or anyone) to start playing the subsidizing game, though. That was bad news before, it will be bad news again. Just let me buy my device for what it costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.