Hands-on with Halo: Spartan Assault on Windows 8, Phone 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Microsoft been trolling the Halo and PC community for awhile now. I don't think this surprises anyone, but at least its more than what we'd expect.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Microsoft been trolling the Halo and PC community for awhile now. I don't think this surprises anyone, but at least its more than what we'd expect.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
would be a bit of token fun, but for all of us out there who dont have a windows phone or tab, its much like the xbox one and an internet connection, if you dont have one...stiff shit

Vlad Razvan

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
"given that this is running on Windows 8, gamers can plug in an Xbox 360 controller and then everything is right again" - that's your opinion. I find console controllers clumsy and uncomfortable. The text should read: "given that this is running on Windows 8, gamers can plug in a keyboard and mouse and then everything is right again".

Larry Bob

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Now that we have Windows 8 which is supposed to UNIFY PLATFORMS why don't we have Halo on PC (or Xbox for Windows, whatever it's called now)

Amused to see 8 not doing its job very well.

hannibal

Distinguished

You really want to have pure Metro win8 version of halo in PC? It may actually happen if you really hope it. Games that does work in Modern UI but not in normal desktop. Wellcome to the bright future of gaming!

;-)

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
"The text should read: "given that this is running on Windows 8, gamers can plug in a keyboard and mouse and then everything is right again".

I don't understand, Vlad, how would you control a twin thumbstick shooter with a keyboard and mouse?

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I don't know why it would be bad for games to "work in Modern UI but not in normal desktop". If I have Windows 8 and I'm playing a game then I have it running full screen. I don't see why it would be an issue if it was launched from the Desktop or the Start Screen. Either way works. Games won't inherently look or perform worse just because they were launched from the Start Screen.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

He's saying Microsoft are trolling PC gamers by only releasing Halo titles on the Xbox when they've also been dominating the PC gaming platform the whole time and are seemingly ignoring their PC audience. Halo: CE and Halo 2 were released for Games for Windows but after that everything was Xbox exclusives. Nobody cares that the games weren't released for PS2/3 or Nintendo consoles but when Microsoft ignores their faithful PC gaming audience to release their largest, most popular, and most lucrative franchise exclusively on their console all the PC gamers start to feel ignored. Many of us purchased Xboxes and Live subscriptions solely for the purpose of playing Halo with friends. Now that the Xbox One essentially runs PC hardware and an x86 OS you would expect it would be easy to port their most popular games to PC and double-dip on market share while keeping their games off of competetors' consoles. In reality, we'll continue to see first-party Microsoft published titles as Xbox exclusives and PC gamers will be given silly knock off titles like the one this article is about.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Well, until the Xbox One is released, you won't know if the whole Halo back catalogue will be re-released as a port and if they do because of the similar architecture I would not be surprised if there were a cross-platform release to PC as well with Windows 8 gamers vs Xbox One gamers - all the hate is very pre-emptive and stinks of fanboism at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.