News Hands-On With the AMD Ryzen-Powered Smach Z, Preorders Open, Ships This Year

g-unit1111

Titan
giphy.gif

Reactions: salgado18

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Barely 30 fps sounds great :rolleyes:

Oh but works great with esports titles. Very useful on a portable machine where our mobile infrastructure is nowhere near (and conceivably still won't be for years) being able to support online multiplayer on the go while you're on a long train or bus ride. Sounds almost as dumb as Sony's online gaming focus for many titles on the Vita, when 3G was new.

Oh but works great with esports titles. Very useful on a portable machine where our mobile infrastructure is nowhere near (and conceivably still won't be for years) being able to support online multiplayer on the go while you're on a long train or bus ride. Sounds almost as dumb as Sony's online gaming focus for many titles on the Vita, when 3G was new.

Depending on how hard service providers push 5G it might not be too far out but still in areas where coverage is limited it does become pointless. The only handheld system I can even think of taking with me is the Switch but mainly because it has fun games for it. I prefer my PC games on a large screen with a good mouse and keyboard.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Yet you can play Broforce on the go, or in bed. There are limitations, of course, but there also are many benefits. It can play many lighter or older offilne games anywhere, consider that.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Depending on how hard service providers push 5G it might not be too far out but still in areas where coverage is limited it does become pointless. The only handheld system I can even think of taking with me is the Switch but mainly because it has fun games for it. I prefer my PC games on a large screen with a good mouse and keyboard.

I play Switch on the train daily, so many great offline and online games there. Also good 4GLTE is fast enough for most online gaming. That said I take the train in and out of NYC each day, which is a place that you would expect to have solid 4G LTE, even solid enough to game on the go. It doesn't. So I'm skeptical of 5G doing it. Sure I'd bet there may be some places where it will work, but for the majority of the US, its the same reason everyone is saying Google Stadia is a pipe dream.

Yet you can play Broforce on the go, or in bed. There are limitations, of course, but there also are many benefits. It can play many lighter or older offilne games anywhere, consider that.

I did consider that. This thing is $700 to start and can scale up over $1200. If it was in the $300 price range then sure light old offline games, but for its base price you can buy a Switch and a big library of AAA games, that play well offline and online. The only deficiency of the Switch is that it doesn't have the battery life that this device claims.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yea the price is expensive. I would consider you could potentially buy a low-end model and upgrade the storage since it uses NVME. Not sure how upgradeable it is.

Good question, seems to mention upgradability, so I'd bet it uses off the shelf drives and stuff. But to pay $700 to start to play esports titles on the go (only with a good connection!) and old games you've played already? Come on. I anticipate a swift bunch of hype, before it goes the way of the Ouya.

Ouya servers get fully shut down at the end of the month I think.
Its already partially shut down.

I am forced to agree, however, this is much more powerful than the OUYA so it would be useful for emulation and other things.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ouya servers get fully shut down at the end of the month I think.
Its already partially shut down.

I am forced to agree, however, this is much more powerful than the OUYA so it would be useful for emulation and other things.

Ouya told a lot of tall tales about upgrades, and whatnot. And here they are, getting shuttered as I expected.

Oh yeah theres definitely a niche market that will love this thing. Retro on the go, emulation, and so on, its a cool idea. Cool enough that I'd buy one at blowout price (1/3 the ask) when it fails miserably, because that market is nowhere near big enough to support such hardware.

GetSmart

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Do beware that Smach Z does have a scammy crowdfunding history. There are lots of reasons for being highly secretive and always got delayed so many times.

For your information, that touchpad problems was there since last year at E3 2018.
Example https://www.factornews.com/preview/...udes-a-propos-de-la-smach-z-page-1-44118.html translated part "One of the trackpad also started messing around and I went on my own in Overwatch. The trackpads and the home button have LEDs that react vaguely according to what we do."

Reactions: Rogue Leader