Hands-on With the MechWarrior Online Closed Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I remember Mechwarriors 2 very well. I found myself watching the intro repeatedly as it was heavy stuff for its day. The raging fire fight with that calm female voice informing "Warning ammunition level..critical" Ah good times.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I remember Mechwarriors 2 very well. I found myself watching the intro repeatedly as it was heavy stuff for its day. The raging fire fight with that calm female voice informing "Warning ammunition level..critical" Ah good times.

Wamphryi

Distinguished

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Im sorry, but personaly i loved the mech games. I hope this is done right and becomes all it could be. Please don't hate, but I'm a console gamer, that being said, I would totally build a gaming rig for this.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Even with a NDA, since this is being published on a popular website it's entirely possible they got permission to make this article.\

If not.... well I don't expect it to be up for long.

dingo07

Distinguished
I have 2 Steel Battalion setups with original xboxes, and I have to disagree entirely with this Catherine. It's The Best Mech simulation Ever Created. The controller is what makes it real.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
People expect too much instant gratification. You're supposed to work towards getting your own mech, it's supposed to feel like you're moving towards a goal. Then again, I also would question how someone that doesn't know MW would know the experience they're working towards. It might have been better to restrict the first mech to a "junk" mech that only accepts parts from a junkyard.

As far as being "pay to win", learn economics. Premiums need to be better than what you could get for free to encourage sales. Sales are needed to pay for servers and updates. You should be glad you can play something that costs money to make and maintain for free. You can either invest your money or your time to improve. I dont see anything here showing that you have to pay cash to win.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I've been playing the Beta for a few months now. I tend to agree with the sentiment that they've been a bit too ambitious in the scope of the game. I appreciate all they intend to accomplish, but there is so much left to do, God only knows when this game will go live.

It's currently limited to 4 maps and a single 8 vs 8 CTF game.
The F2P model makes it a gruelingly long grind to acquire your first mech and earn enough cash/xp to compete.
The group/match-making system has drawn a lot of criticism for matching "pick up groups" with "premade groups" who use teamspeak that generally lead to lopsided victories.
The in-game implementation of voice chat, C3, has yet to gain any traction among users.
The engine is not optimized at all and getting decent frame-rates even with a good setup is tough.
There are still tons of bugs/glitches that affect visuals, gameplay, and cause random crashes.

With all that said, it is a BLAST to play. It's very much like mech 2. Using TeamSpeak to coordinate gameplay is loads of fun. Customizing mechs is Badazz. Even though only 4 maps are available, it's still enough fun just to find different ways to play maps and how to fight and win in different mechs. The graphics are decent now, but have a ton of potential. (would love to see the ability for 3rd pary mods)

I think this game will really only end up being a lot of fun for those dedicated enough to spend enough cash to buy some mechs at first and continue a premium account. And, also to those willing to make a lot of friends and embrace the team-oriented nature of the game. The F2P model is a slippery slope in my opinion and always limits the overall potential of a game. I think this could have been a GREAT stand alone title.

Kraszmyl

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
There is a patch coming next week that optimizes alot of the problems people are having with lower end and medium setups. Its also adding dx11 finaly. Frankly ive never had a problem but i know my setup is atypical with a 7950.

Costs for the mechs arnt to bad anymore and they are upping the rewards for the free mechs if i recall next patch but making you get absolutely nothing if you dont actualy participate in battle.

You cant purchase cbills directly with cash. Best you can do is buy a mech and then sell it back for cbills. Unless i missed something.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
MC and CBills are basically interchangeable kraszmyl. MC is real money, Cbills are earned within the game. There's different pricing on items depending which currency you use. MC can also be used to change XP.

They put out a patch every week btw. Like I said, there is a long way to go. Each patch seems to be a small step. The upcoming patch is supposedly of more importance than recent patches, so I look forward to it for sure.

djayjp

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Ms. Cai, you seem to have completely forgotten MWLL: Mechwarrior Living Legends, the 2009 mod of the year for Crysis Warhead. This is a fully realized online multiplayer dueler. Shame on you!

G

I'm in the beta and I was looking forward to this game until I realized how it's blatantly pay to win.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Uhh I'm part of this BETA, and isn't there a gigantic NDA?[/citation]
NDA got lifted earlier today

[citation][nom]bebangs[/nom]no offline single player game?[/citation]
No, it's a Mechwarrior MMO. If you're confused about what happened to "Mechwarrior: Reboot" look up one of Russ Bullock's interviews on youtube, he's the president of Piranah Games

[citation][nom]Dingo07[/nom]I have 2 Steel Battalion setups with original xboxes, and I have to disagree entirely with this Catherine. It's The Best Mech simulation Ever Created. The controller is what makes it real.[/citation]

Controllers aren't everything, they're just a method of input. The gameplay and overall experience is what should matter.

[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]I'm in the beta and I was looking forward to this game until I realized how it's blatantly pay to win.[/citation]

Obvious troll is obvious. You're a moron, this isn't pay to win. It's pay for convenience, just like League of Legends is. You can grind out champions, or you can shell out a few bucks to buy one. Just because an Atlas costs more doesn't make it better. I pilot a Jenner almost exclusively, make more money than piloting an atlas (repairs are cheaper), and often place in the top 3 in damage done consistently.

If you think this game is pay to win, I'd love to hear your opinion on World of Tanks which is a game that is much more indicative of a pay to win model than MWO or LoL is.

Zuesacoatl

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
[citation][nom]fuckmechwarrior[/nom]Oh look, another pay-to-win model.[/citation]
Ohh look, another uniformed poster, go figure. It is not a pay to win, anyone can buy any mech or weapon system without having to drop real world cash. If you call it a pay for convenience cause when you pay the grind is not near as long, then fine, but look up the definition of pay to win and understand a game before you open your mouth and spew uniformed nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.