Hang before 'verifying dmi data' phase - didn't used to! CPU or mobo?

ayqazi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Hi,

So I've got a DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D, an Opteron 165, I HAD some pc4000 2x1gb Ballistix Tracer sticks.

I had to get the memory replaced on something like 4 occasions, because it kept on going bad. "Bad memory", I thought.

Here's what would happen: after a while, the machine would stop posting. I'd have to keep hitting reset until it managed to work. The number of times I had to hit reset increased slowly over time.

So I'm getting the memory RMAed yet again, so decided to use some old ddr333 256MB sticks in the mean time.

Then I realised it wasn't the memory that was broken.

Basically, it all works fine at stock settings.

But as soon as I raise the FSB speed above a certain value (say 250), I can't get the ah heck past the 'Verifying DMI data' phase. Note I always keep the FSB/MEM multiplier adjusted so that the memory is below DDR333, so it isn't the memory's fault.

I've done the same thing with some newer DDR400 sticks, and the same thing happens. I used to use these sticks, and they used to work fine at the settings that now cause a hang before the 'verifying DMI data' phase.

It could be the motherboard, because it's the raise in FSB speed that is stopping things from working (whereas before they used to).

It could be the CPU, because the onboard memory controller is what deals with the memory.

Here's the thing then: is it the CPU, or is it the motherboard? The only way for me to find out is if I buy a new motherboard or CPU, and test on that! I really really don't want to do that - does anybody have a clue as to what is going on? Or what I could do to find out what it is?

Thanks

I would try a different board. Newegg has a foxconn nforce4 board with athlon 64 3500 for only $60 plus shipping. For a few $$, you get a spare cpu and board. You can still send in the DFI board if you want. My asrock board has never overclocked stable; I've tried different bios versions. I'm happy with the default settings.

ayqazi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
On further investigation, it seems it was the motherboard. mprime would only error out with memory in the 3rd. slot (with the third slot alone occupied, the OS wouldn't boot up).

No worries, it had a good run. I can flog off the Opty 165 anyway.

For now, I've got myself a ga-ma69gm-s2h and 5000+ Black edition (and obviously new memory) that I'll put into an HTPC after I get a "proper" motherboard/CPU in a few months (c'mon AMD, sort this Phenom mess out!)