Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

Apr 21, 2020
Hi there, for months that I am having this issue.
My setup is:
GTX MSI 1070
Z270 M7
i7-6700k
After several other fixes incluidng the ones you have mentioned, what seemed to help me was to set the CPU MAX performance to 99%.

helped allot and now I have the Windows Sheel experience Host

nibnab

Reputable
May 16, 2016
Came here from the reddit thread I just found. I'm having the same issue. Been dealing with it since I built the computer, and haven't found a good fix.
Asus x570 chipset, Ryzen 3900x + Asus Turbo 2080TI.

I do 3D rendering, both CPU and GPU based for sometimes days at the time. The system is always stable during 100% load. But I can have a Skype call and have Firefox open, and clicking a link might freeze everything. Mouse pointer might update position once every few minutes. Skype call still goes on and we can continue to talk, but my screen is frozen - and I'm always also told my video froze up. I've tried leaving the computer for up to an hour. A few times it's resulted in a blue screen, but mostly it just "hangs" indefinitely", and I have to do a hard reset. All I can find is this event 14 in the event viewer. I've tried to update firmware, bios, drivers and everything I can think of.

Apr 24, 2020
I'm not sure I have the same issue, I only have it while gaming and it happens a lot, (almost every game).
My specs: bought all new 5-6 months ago:
  • CPU Ryzen 5 2600 - no overclocking
  • VGA MSI Geforce GTX 1660 Ti ventus XS OC
  • Mainboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • 16 GB of RAM (2x8, 3000MHz, XMP on)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit runs on SSD Samsung NVMe.
  • HDD seagate 1TB 7200RPM
  • PSU cooler master 550W bronze 80 plus
As soon as I updated my NVIDIA driver (to 445.87) to play Red Dead Redempion 2 as the game required, the problem occurs (about nearly a month ago). Before that I played every game smoothly.
The core symtoms of this problem is: GPU usage jumps high while CPU usage drops low, and it looks like everything the post above said.
Here is my original post on r/sekiro with extra information about my attempts to fix the issues (which, didn't help). Including some monitoring pics.
As of right now I'm rolling back to default NVIDIA driver which was auto updated when I clean install Windows (441.66) and having no trouble since (been half a day). But as it said the problem doesnt always occur (but it does, a lot for me) I need to look more to see if rolling back the driver works. I'll update if it does.
Edit: after a day of nothing happened, it's happening again.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
This is an ongoing issue with for me - I have two customs I built myself, both with Ryzen 3900x and RTX 2080 Super cards, and they both have the same constant driver crashes reported in this thread. It happens once or twice a day, it doesn't matter what I am doing, and always a black screen. I usually can't recover with ctrl-win-shift-B (though you should try this if you're having issues) so I need to hard reset.

Maybe it's time for an AMD video card or an Intel processor, I don't know which way to go. Super annoying!

Reactions: helper800

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
This is an ongoing issue with for me - I have two customs I built myself, both with Ryzen 3900x and RTX 2080 Super cards, and they both have the same constant driver crashes reported in this thread. It happens once or twice a day, it doesn't matter what I am doing, and always a black screen. I usually can't recover with ctrl-win-shift-B (though you should try this if you're having issues) so I need to hard reset.

Maybe it's time for an AMD video card or an Intel processor, I don't know which way to go. Super annoying!
Hi, your issue sounds a little different, it does not happen odten for us and it is not a blackscreen either, Could you tell me if the BIOS is updated on both your pcs?

May 4, 2020
Ok well, sometimes I can go a day or two with nothing happening, and sometimes it will crash two or three times in a day. Always with "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found." in the event log. I will usually have a few seconds of performance stuttering before the display shuts off. I think the black screen may be because I'm using a non-standard monitor setup (55 inch LG OLED on both computers). The computer is still working fine, just the display goes black, and I can occasionally recover to desktop with the ctrl-win-shift-B to save any work in progress but I'll need to reboot before using any 3d graphics again or the driver will immediately crash a second time.

I have been emailing back and forth with Nvidia tech support over the last week... they have all the logs and of course all of my drivers and bios are fully updated. The last gem I got from them was to reseat my video card lol (I did anyway just for kicks but I'm fairly certain that's not the issue here...) I'll update the thread if we find a solution but I've tried the other tweaks suggested here (power settings etc) and nothing seems to have helped yet.

May 5, 2020
Wow, I'm really glad I found this thread. This has been happening to me at least once per day, and it seems to always happen at random times EXCEPT when I'm actually gaming.

I've been trying to figure out if it's RAM, PSU, MoBo, GPU, etc....

I have:

Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2070 Super
ASRock B450M Pro4 Mobo

Mine USUALLY happens when trying to watch a video on youtube or some other site in Firefox or Chrome. Doesn't matter the browser. But I've also had it happen doing mundane tasks on the desktop. It's never actually happened while gaming yet.

What happens is I'll be watching a video, the video will freeze but I can still hear audio. After about 10 seconds the audio cuts, and all programs freeze up/stutter, but I can still move my mouse around. After about 1 or 5 mins, everything kind of "unlocks" and I can navigate around again. The last few times, the monitor goes black, shows that there is no signal, and then comes back on to whatever I was last doing. (I still usually have to close out the internet browser to get back to normal operating speeds if you will).

Also, I was able to pull up task manager while the event was happening, and my GPU spiked to 100% usage, but memory and CPU looked normal. Then I went to the Event Viewer when it was all done and got the same error you did.

Funny enough, this didn't start happening UNTIL I pulled the trigger on getting a 144hz 1440p display. It ran fine on my old 1080p samsung monitor that was like 60hz and I didn't have this issue. I joked with my friends about it possibly being the monitor, but now I may not be so crazy.

Anyway just trying to provide input since the reddit thread was archived.

Dalamar6

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Pretty much same as you guys, but Intel CPU. Rare to happen when gaming, usually happens while using Discord or browser. Turning HW acceleration off in whatever lets me has reduced it.

2176G CPU
X11SCA-W mobo on latest fw
EVGA 2080 ti
Used Seasonic X650 gold and SSR-700TL PSUs

Old 1080 had 0 issues whatsoever, wish I had just kept it... what a waste of money...

May 5, 2020
Pretty much same as you guys, but Intel CPU. Rare to happen when gaming, usually happens while using Discord or browser. Turning HW acceleration off in whatever lets me has reduced it.

2176G CPU
X11SCA-W mobo on latest fw
EVGA 2080 ti
Used Seasonic X650 gold and SSR-700TL PSUs

Old 1080 had 0 issues whatsoever, wish I had just kept it... what a waste of money...
I changed the power management in Nvidia Control Panel like suggested above, and I have not had the issue since Tuesday. Still way to early to call anything, but mine was happening near daily, and so far so good.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Wow, I'm really glad I found this thread. This has been happening to me at least once per day, and it seems to always happen at random times EXCEPT when I'm actually gaming.

I've been trying to figure out if it's RAM, PSU, MoBo, GPU, etc....

I have:

Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2070 Super
ASRock B450M Pro4 Mobo

Mine USUALLY happens when trying to watch a video on youtube or some other site in Firefox or Chrome. Doesn't matter the browser. But I've also had it happen doing mundane tasks on the desktop. It's never actually happened while gaming yet.

What happens is I'll be watching a video, the video will freeze but I can still hear audio. After about 10 seconds the audio cuts, and all programs freeze up/stutter, but I can still move my mouse around. After about 1 or 5 mins, everything kind of "unlocks" and I can navigate around again. The last few times, the monitor goes black, shows that there is no signal, and then comes back on to whatever I was last doing. (I still usually have to close out the internet browser to get back to normal operating speeds if you will).

Also, I was able to pull up task manager while the event was happening, and my GPU spiked to 100% usage, but memory and CPU looked normal. Then I went to the Event Viewer when it was all done and got the same error you did.

Funny enough, this didn't start happening UNTIL I pulled the trigger on getting a 144hz 1440p display. It ran fine on my old 1080p samsung monitor that was like 60hz and I didn't have this issue. I joked with my friends about it possibly being the monitor, but now I may not be so crazy.

Anyway just trying to provide input since the reddit thread was archived.

Well, I don't think it is the 144 hz monitor, coz I was initially using a 75 hz montior, which did it once and then got the 144hz, which also displayed the same behaviour once, but since then I've not had the issue. For reference, pc was built in Dec, happened once in Jan and once early Feb, then I made the changes mentioned in OP, I've not had the issue since.

So much for going nvidia to avoid driver issues, I used to have the most ridiculous issue with an AMD card back in the day, since I've only been nvidia. Given, this issue is nowhere near as annoying as what used to happen with the amd card.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Ofcourse I post that it hasn't happened in 3 months,it happens again. Not sure what caused it, was browsing, scrolling through youtube and bam same error, but this time once I closed MSI afterburner, it got fixed. I opened it again, driver crashed and recovered. Didn't have to restart this time, I've reverted my overclock for the time being, lets see how it goes.

Also note, msi afterburner was using 10% cpu in the task manager when it hapened, leading me to close it. Maybe all this shile the issue had something to do with afterburner?

Last edited:

Dalamar6

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
I changed the power management in Nvidia Control Panel like suggested above, and I have not had the issue since Tuesday. Still way to early to call anything, but mine was happening near daily, and so far so good.
I will take a pass on the $6-12 per month power bill increase... NVIDIA needs to fix this.

Also note, msi afterburner was using 10% cpu in the task manager when it hapened, leading me to close it. Maybe all this shile the issue had something to do with afterburner?

Never use MSI software, it's garbage man... it's definitely not the cause of this thread's issue in any case. NVIDIA or reference board is at fault.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Quoting from Reddit post

"I have on an MSI B450-A Pro Max with an R5 3600 and 2070 Super. It completely solves the nvlddmkm driver crashes when cards switch between idle/active state (PCI-E lane speed changes).
It also completely solves the blackscreen crashes on a 5700XT in the very same situation."
Anandtech writes "The microcode also improves PCI-Express bus stability and interoperability, in general."

persason

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hi there.
I am on a Ryzen 3600 and RTX 2070 (MSI gaming Z)

I get game crashes with/without artifacts (small rectangular boxes) always requiring hard reset.

I have both had Event ID 13 AND 14 with the same error. (see image)

The question is if event ID 13 is related to this issue or if it is due to something else?

View: https://imgur.com/a/MmbXkLh

If not it may be favorable to RMA my card?

fluidz

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Heya,

First of all, im using a ryzen 3700x and 2080ti, a combination which seems common with this event.

Event 14 happened a few times to my system, mouse freezing for 5 minutes etc, it lasted a good 2 weeks, but hasnt happened since then. Unfortunately, Im not quite sure what i did to stop it 😕, as i tried doing lots of things to solve it and it just went away. I can tell you that i've been getting micro freezing (screen freezes for a slight second), followed by huge frametime spikes, in games, even in vanilla Minecraft single player world. Clean windows install, stock speeds, nothing overclocked. Etc.

I have found a simple test that you can try out, this test causes my card become unstable and actually crashes the Nvidia driver, and can cause the screen to turn off. Windows reports an hardware error.

Prior to this thread, I asked some 2080ti owners over at reddit to try the test, those guys apparently had no issues with their cards. They can't reproduce the driver crash. I'm yet to find someone else who can reproduce it. I thought of this event 14 error I had a while back, and thought, what if they're connected somewhat?

Got a moment? See if you can reproduce the driver crash.. Set your card to stock speeds, no overclocking whatsoever, and reboot your pc so its a clean boot. This way we cant blame the crash on an overclock.

Download these two programs, unique heaven and OCCT. Run them in the exact order below.

1. Open Unique Heaven, click custom, set it to max settings, max resolution, windowed. Run it. Keep it running.
  2. Open OCCT, inside of occt click on MEMTEST, run the memtest.
You can switch Heaven with a gpu intensive game or even timespy. But Heaven works for me each time.

If you see errors in occt memtest. Leave it running for at least one minute. Stop the test. Open reliability monitor and look for any events linked to the moment you ran occt. Also open event viewer, custom views, administrative events, again look for any events that are linked.

Why push the card to crash? Well, this test crashes my card, and I had the event 14 issue you guys have, but for others without any issues with their 2080ti, it does not crash.

Example (using Dying light instead of Heaven benchmark) - https://streamable.com/8o24zo

This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.
The poll is probably just as worthless to use to draw any conclusions since it will suffer from the same problem all such surveys do.... you'll hear almost exclusively from those who have a problem. Those without the problem have no idea what you're even talking about or are way to busy just using their systems.

May 13, 2020
Built my new computer (5 days ago) Was using my NVIDIA 1660 previously in my old computer (Intel CPU) and had no such problem. I am now having this problem.

Current build:
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI AM4 ATX Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB 16GB (2x 8GB) CL16 DDR4 3600MHz
PSU Seasonic SSR-650PD 650W PRIME 80+ Platinum Fully Modular

Last edited:

persason

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Built my new computer (5 days ago) Was using my NVIDIA 1660 previously in my old computer (Intel CPU) and had no such problem.

Current build:
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI AM4 ATX Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB 16GB (2x 8GB) CL16 DDR4 3600MHz
PSU Seasonic SSR-650PD 650W PRIME 80+ Platinum Fully Modular

Does this mean that you have problems now?

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
I started having this issue after upgrading from a 6GB ASUS GTX 1060 to an Zotac RTX 2070 AMP Extreme Core. So far I've had the system become completely unresponsive twice. Both times it was when playing a Youtube video using Firefox.

Buid:
ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-PLUS
AMD Ryzen 3600X
Geil Evo Potenza CL16 DDR4 24000
PSU Corsair 650W modular

Latest Windows 10, AMD Drivers and nVidia Drivers.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Heya,

First of all, im using a ryzen 3700x and 2080ti, a combination which seems common with this event.

Event 14 happened a few times to my system, mouse freezing for 5 minutes etc, it lasted a good 2 weeks, but hasnt happened since then. Unfortunately, Im not quite sure what i did to stop it 😕, as i tried doing lots of things to solve it and it just went away. I can tell you that i've been getting micro freezing (screen freezes for a slight second), followed by huge frametime spikes, in games, even in vanilla Minecraft single player world. Clean windows install, stock speeds, nothing overclocked. Etc.

I have found a simple test that you can try out, this test causes my card become unstable and actually crashes the Nvidia driver, and can cause the screen to turn off. Windows reports an hardware error.

Prior to this thread, I asked some 2080ti owners over at reddit to try the test, those guys apparently had no issues with their cards. They can't reproduce the driver crash. I'm yet to find someone else who can reproduce it. I thought of this event 14 error I had a while back, and thought, what if they're connected somewhat?

Got a moment? See if you can reproduce the driver crash.. Set your card to stock speeds, no overclocking whatsoever, and reboot your pc so its a clean boot. This way we cant blame the crash on an overclock.

Download these two programs, unique heaven and OCCT. Run them in the exact order below.

1. Open Unique Heaven, click custom, set it to max settings, max resolution, windowed. Run it. Keep it running.
  2. Open OCCT, inside of occt click on MEMTEST, run the memtest.
You can switch Heaven with a gpu intensive game or even timespy. But Heaven works for me each time.

If you see errors in occt memtest. Leave it running for at least one minute. Stop the test. Open reliability monitor and look for any events linked to the moment you ran occt. Also open event viewer, custom views, administrative events, again look for any events that are linked.

Why push the card to crash? Well, this test crashes my card, and I had the event 14 issue you guys have, but for others without any issues with their 2080ti, it does not crash.

Example (using Dying light instead of Heaven benchmark) - https://streamable.com/8o24zo

Did it, no errors detected, But apparently this event 14 error is fixed with the AGES 1.0.0.5 bios update(which I am on now), not sure though.

Reactions: fluidz
Status
Not open for further replies.