Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

psychomax13

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Seems like my issues fixed by latest bios update and/or latest gpu driver update
7C37v1A

Motherboard: Msi x570 gaming edge wifi
Cpu: ryzen 3600
Gpu: rtx 2070 super kfa2 black edition

nvidia driver 452.06
How long have you been using with the updated drivers? I think it's too early to decide that the issue is gone.

Sep 6, 2020
BlueScreenView Screenshot: View: https://i.imgur.com/GXPZgGB.png

Ever since I installed and played Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2020 and FFXV Windows Edition, I have been constantly encountering reboot issues due to Nvidia's nvlddmkm.sys driver. Beforehand, the system ran stable with maybe one to two months in between where the issue would rear its ugly head, but it's become much more frequent now.

The system parts were looked at closely and issues pertaining to the hardware could not be detected through traditional stress programs, but as I would play games like BFV, Deus EX Mankind Divided, Control, I'd eventually run into the nvlddmkm.sys driver causing a crash and reboot. There was also an issue with one of my three monitors not connecting as a signal could not be detected from the GPU. I am in the process of obtaining an RMA from Asus as of now, but I am also aware this will not likely resolve the issue. I have run DDU and gotten the newest drivers for the GPU.
I've spent some time seeing some threads here and was wondering if anyone came across a permanent solution? The thread here appears to be what I am experiencing, but it appears no solution is being brought forward from Nvidia or AMD.

Does this issue occur for Intel CPUs? Debating if I should go back in that direction to finish this once and for all.

PC Specs:
  • CPU: 3950X
  • GPU: Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti A11G
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB 3200MHz CL16
  • Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Formula x570
  • Storage: Corsair Force MP600 2tb NVMe M.2 Drive (x2)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
EDIT: Potential fix was found, I downloaded an older Nvidia driver (445.87) and didn't reboot unexpectedly during a lengthy session on BFV. I did download the creator update for Windows a while back and that's when the issue approximately started occurring. Crossing my fingers.

Last edited:

adrz

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
Seems like my issues fixed by latest bios update and/or latest gpu driver update
7C37v1A

nvidia driver 452.06

I have a similar hardware as you have.

CPU 3600X
Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge
GPU: MSI 2060 SUPER Gaming X
x4 Corsair RGB PRO 3200Mhz 8GB

Since last friday it is impossible to play any game.... fornite, farcry5, csgo, etc ... all the games crash after 5-10 minutes, I have re-installed windows, all the drivers installed cleanly, and even memory test, fun mark to GPU + CPU at 100%, all correct!, but I still have the crashes..., in the windows event viewer, multiple times I have seen the error commented in this post about nvlddmkm.sys... that's why I came here from Spain :)

I would like to ask you if it still works well currently and how did you update your bios to the latest version, since I have tried the update with MSI Update Live and it has been semi-bricked my motherboard...

Luckily removing the battery and restarting C-MOS it worked again.

Aug 4, 2020
Update on my variant. Has happened a further 3 times so far and each case is pretty much the same, I have either Firefox, Chrome or Discord open and then I try to open an application like Maya, Substance Painter or Premiere Pro and get the black screen and nvlddmkm error. I've tested opening those applications to see if it would happen again on their own and even did all 3 at the same time and no problem. But if I have one of those browsers or discord open the problem will happen, so for me the problem applications are Firefox, Chrome and Discord, and also assuming all similar programs to those.

I've been trying to remember when this started happening as this never happened for the first 3 months of when I got the pc, the only major change I can think of is when I moved from the game driver to the Studio driver in Nvidia Experience

Last edited:

pntn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2020
Update from an Intel user, see my post on earlier pages to see specs. I switched motherboards and got ASRock Z390 PG ITX/ac now, latest BIOS, I even went out of my way to flash VBIOS on GPU (there was a newer one).

That unfortunately didn't change a thing, I haven't crashed during anything yet and system seems to be running just fine, but I did get an nvlddmkm error out of blue in my Event Viewer. I only took notice because I went into Event Viewer, I wouldn't even know it got registered because nothing happened on desktop.

Since then, I just said screw it, put maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel and haven't seen it appear for the past day. At this point I'm just fairly certain that it's Nvidia driver problem and my system running 100% stable without GPU for 5 weeks with no hiccups whatsoever on my old motherboard just proves this. Waiting for a hotfix update or new drivers explicitly saying it's been fixed and if that doesn't solve it, I don't know, I might just sell this card and hopefully someone else doesn't have a compatibility problem. If you happen to be an Intel user and had the same problem, which driver version did you revert to?

Diceman_2037

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I did download the creator update for Windows a while back and that's when the issue approximately started occurring. Crossing my fingers.

Turing isn't compatible with creators update anyway.......

At this point I'm just fairly certain that it's Nvidia driver problem and my system running 100% stable without GPU for 5 weeks with no hiccups whatsoever on my old motherboard just proves this.

There is no driver problem that would have max performance be more stable than the default, the changes it makes only affect the electrical state of the graphics card by preventing variable clocks and voltages.

You have a card with a defect.

pntn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2020
There is no driver problem that would have max performance be more stable than the default, the changes it makes only affect the electrical state of the graphics card by preventing variable clocks and voltages.

You have a card with a defect.

I am not fairly sure about that myself, everything is working perfectly fine except random crashes out of blue whenever I'm watching Twitch or YouTube, crashed on Google Maps once too. My gaming experience is unaffected and the card passed all the tests I threw at it. Month or two ago I sent it for RMA, after 5 weeks it came back and they said they haven't found any faults in it. I unfortunately don't have enough money to pull the trigger on RTX 3000 series yet and I can't be left with no GPU, so this is a workaround for now.

My problems began roughly 2 months after I switched motherboards, I had a cheap Mortar to hold the i9 and it was fine, when I upgraded to ROG Gene, well, <Mod Edit> hit the fan and now I'm dealing with this.

I was just also browsing web and found this article: https://mspoweruser.com/intels-wifi...g-windows-10-bsod-but-there-is-now-a-fix/amp/

Might be far fetched, but indeed Mortar had no WiFi, while ROG Gene and my ASRock motherboard has it and I did install WiFi drivers everytime, despite using Ethernet connection. I wonder if there's a link to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 13, 2020
7C37v1A

nvidia driver 452.06

This worked for me too.

Updated my drivers to 452.06 Windows 10 64bit STUDIO DRIVER. I'm not sure if studio driver or game ready driver makes a difference.

I've been using the new drivers for 2 weeks and have absolutely no issues.

Aug 4, 2020
Fixed after running DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstalling Studio Driver only.

Seems my issue was a clash between the previous Game Ready driver and the Studio Driver

Oct 9, 2020
I've had this issue as well, my setup is:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Core
  • MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060
  • Mem: 64GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHz
  • PSU: CORSAIR 750W RMx
I did not have the issue at all for at least a month after receiving the computer (August), then it started after I installed NVIDIA broadcast. I also had to install the most recent NVIDA drivers to complete that, so I was on the pre-September drivers before then.

It was actually something I could guaruntee would happen after about 15-20 minutes if I ran NVIDIA broadcast (NB) with the camera setting turned on, and then do a Teams meeting with that as the source. My screen would go black, although I could hear audio for 15-30 seconds before that stopped as well, and I had to hard re-boot.

I stopped using the camera feature of NB, and it seemed ok, but then would randomly crash to black-screen about once a week. A proper crash, sometimes I'd re-boot and it still would not bring the screen back, I had to give it a rest for a while.
The event log would show nvlddmkm errors, looking like the graphics card was simply not there, and/or Windows Desktop Manager shut down.

I did two things recently (sorry for not doing one at a time!), I uninstalled NB, and I opened the computer and re-seated the graphics card. So far so good after 1 week... I've installed NVIDIA voice (the older version without the camera features) and that seems ok.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I've had this issue as well, my setup is:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Core
  • MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060
  • Mem: 64GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHz
  • PSU: CORSAIR 750W RMx
I did not have the issue at all for at least a month after receiving the computer (August), then it started after I installed NVIDIA broadcast. I also had to install the most recent NVIDA drivers to complete that, so I was on the pre-September drivers before then.

It was actually something I could guaruntee would happen after about 15-20 minutes if I ran NVIDIA broadcast (NB) with the camera setting turned on, and then do a Teams meeting with that as the source. My screen would go black, although I could hear audio for 15-30 seconds before that stopped as well, and I had to hard re-boot.

I stopped using the camera feature of NB, and it seemed ok, but then would randomly crash to black-screen about once a week. A proper crash, sometimes I'd re-boot and it still would not bring the screen back, I had to give it a rest for a while.
The event log would show nvlddmkm errors, looking like the graphics card was simply not there, and/or Windows Desktop Manager shut down.

I did two things recently (sorry for not doing one at a time!), I uninstalled NB, and I opened the computer and re-seated the graphics card. So far so good after 1 week... I've installed NVIDIA voice (the older version without the camera features) and that seems ok.

This sounds a little different, you could perhaps rma the GPU and see if that helps, might also wanna run memtest+ to rule out ram issues.

Jul 20, 2020
Fixed after upgraded GPU driver to 456.38

I would also like to report as a result of my problem description (#137) that with the new drivers > 456.38 I did not have a single crashed/frozen state anymore.
The GPU power mode back to the default value.

The system has been running without problems for more than three weeks.

Nov 2, 2020
I've been getting the error id 14 since building this PC in march. At first i was hoping driver/bios updates would fix it but i'm still getting this error half a year later. I've never experienced this in games, but happens almost every day while using FL Studio. Using some of the more graphically demanding plugins seems to be able to cause this error almost on demand. The PC freezes up over a few seconds. Sometimes it freezes up completely and screens go dark, sometimes it responds to input every 5-10 seconds and i can actually restart the PC, one time it recovered completely with Windows saying the driver was reset. Killing it by holding the power button is usually the only way to get out of it and is probably terrible for my ssd, had to do a system restore one time too.

Setup: Dual monitors, Asus TUF x570 plus wifi, Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2060 Super.

Guess I'll see if I have better luck with the new Radeon cards. :/

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I've been getting the error id 14 since building this PC in march. At first i was hoping driver/bios updates would fix it but i'm still getting this error half a year later. I've never experienced this in games, but happens almost every day while using FL Studio. Using some of the more graphically demanding plugins seems to be able to cause this error almost on demand. The PC freezes up over a few seconds. Sometimes it freezes up completely and screens go dark, sometimes it responds to input every 5-10 seconds and i can actually restart the PC, one time it recovered completely with Windows saying the driver was reset. Killing it by holding the power button is usually the only way to get out of it and is probably terrible for my ssd, had to do a system restore one time too.

Setup: Dual monitors, Asus TUF x570 plus wifi, Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2060 Super.

Guess I'll see if I have better luck with the new Radeon cards. :/

A few things, have you tried setting the nvidia performance mode to high performance, also some peopl have reported that the more recent nvidia drivers have the solved the issue for them, can you check and confirm?

I personally have given up and enabled maximum performance in nvcp, anyway I always use a custom fan profile, so not a huge deal. But, I would really like this to be solved sooner or later, like you've mentioned, we should also wait for someone here to get the new gpus and confirm if that solves the issue.

Nov 4, 2020
Just wanted to drop a comment here. I've recently (about a month ago) upgraded to a 3700x and last Saturday (31/10/2020) installed a new RTX 3070. Prior to this I was using a GTX 1080 and had never seen this issue before.
Since then this has happened 3-4 times.
Mobo bios is updated. Using the latest 457.09 geforce game ready drivers.

I had my G-SYNC settings enabled for windowed and full screen. I can't remember where I read it but I remember seeing the G-SYNC doesn't always behave on windowed mode. So as something to test I've stuck it on Full Screen mode only to see if it makes any difference.

Setup: 1440p 165hz single monitor (AMD Freesync Premium / G-SYNC compatible), MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK mobo, Ryzen 7 3700x cpu. RTX 3070 gpu.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Well, there goes the idea of ampere solving the problem, this more and more seems unsolvable. I guess setting the nvcp power management to max performance is the only workaround, apart from replacing all the components of course, perhaps try rmaing the CPU, but must warn you, one guy replaced his cpu and continued to face the issue till he went intel, so I have no idea, perhaps he got two bad cpus in a row or this is a never ending issue with ryzen 3000 and turing and newer gpus, I myself am considering RMAing the CPU as well, for now I've set max perf power profile.

Nov 4, 2020
What does setting the nvcp power management to max performance actually do? Does it mean the gpu is running at 100% all the time?

I haven't read all 8 pages and the previous reddit thread but it certainly seems to be some sort of compatibility issue between AMD CPU's and Nvidia RTX GPU's. The G-SYNC changes made no difference.
I'm not sure I really want to rmp the cpu, it very much seems that it'll be fine and its just this issue which is some sort of software bug.
Maybe I need to sell the 3070 and buy a new RDNA2 graphics card when they're out which will stop it happening.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
What does setting the nvcp power management to max performance actually do? Does it mean the gpu is running at 100% all the time?

I haven't read all 8 pages and the previous reddit thread but it certainly seems to be some sort of compatibility issue between AMD CPU's and Nvidia RTX GPU's. The G-SYNC changes made no difference.
I'm not sure I really want to rmp the cpu, it very much seems that it'll be fine and its just this issue which is some sort of software bug.
Maybe I need to sell the 3070 and buy a new RDNA2 graphics card when they're out which will stop it happening.
Perhaps, but I suggested Rma because the one guy who rmaed the cpu, remember just that one guy mentioned he also tested a rdna 1 gpu on the same sytem with the issue and had black screens which did not happen on his intel pc with the same gpu, this kinda led me to beleive the fault is with the cpu. Anyway, I can't be sure.

However, prefer max perf is not hugely different in terms of gpu usage, just your clocks will be locked to the base clock even when doing 2d tasks. Here's what I observed, my gpu used to constantly ramp the clocks up and down when watching videos or doing ususal tasks on the comouter while the gpu usage hovered between 0 - 30 %, now with max performance the clocks stay at 1500mhz for core and 6000 mhz for memory all the time and the core jumps to the boost clocks when gaming. In this scenario I have a 3 to 4 c higher temp doing normal tasks but the gpu usage doing these tasks aren't as high as before anymore as the clocks are high, the same tasks which used to take 0 - 30 % of the gpu now do not use more than 5 - 6 % as the clocks are higher, in essence, your gpu will use a little bit more power when doing daily tasks, with no difference when gaming.

If you plan to do it, I would suggest you set yourself a custom fan curve for the gpu, this may not be necessary at your place based on the ambient temp. try prefer max perf for a while and check your max temp while using your pc normally, if its not going above 50 with normal usage(apart from gaming), you don't even have to worry about the custom fan curve, just set the global nvcp setting to prefer max perf and forget about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunkelBlauer
Nov 29, 2020
My system (Моя система):
Ryzen 9 3950X, RTX2080Ti Evga FTW Ultra (RTX2080 Super), motherboard MSI X570 Unify
Memory HyperX Predator 2 sticks 16Gb and 2 Sticks 8Gb Total 48Gb (3600MHz)
PSU Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium

Hello, this my story with a happy ending!

It started after I bought a new card RTX2080 Super EVGA FTW ULTRA. Display started to turn on black and back up of few second, it happened on desktop without load or in games randomly. When I installed the card I added 2 new ram sticks and set xmp profile 3600. First, I thought the problem was because of memory, but with the default speed problem stayed. I thought the problem was with those new sticks, tried with 100% working ram but it didn’t help. Tried 5-6 versions drivers by Nvidia (studio and game ready included, started from 440). I tried set tdrdelay & tdrlevel, didn’t help. Tried update AMD chipset Drivers, updated BIOS Motherboard to the latest version, didn’t help. Tried turn off audio card by Microsoft by evga recommendation, didn’t help. Tried change cpu power scheme to normal, maximum power didn’t help. I saw many crashes when I changed the clock speed of my card on evga precision.

When I tried to save the preset, driver immediately crashed. Then I thought that the problem is because of clock my card. I have a second PC with Intel i5 7400. I tried to check this card with it and I got no black screen. And then I decided to buy another card EVGA RTX2080ti, because I like SUPER version and it looks stunning (there is SUPER on photo, but TI looks the same except logo Ti).

I received the new RTX2080Ti, set it and I celebrated my victory because I had no black screen, go to evga precision change clock, save it and BOOM BAH the same cr@p again like with my old SUPER card. I was very disappointed and I thought I tried everything but then I remembered about one thing. I went to NVIDIA panel, search power settings, my card and changed balance mode to maximum power (I don’t know how it’s called in English)

And now 3 days later I have no stupid black screen anymore after changing this setting. Now I can save clock preset in evga precison without any problem. And one moment it started when I bought new rtx 2080 super. Previously I used GTX1080Ti, RTX3070, GTX1650 without any problem. I hope you win this game! ^_^

Для русских если такие тут бывают или случайно зашли:
Всем привет а вот моя история с победным концом

Все началось с установки новой карты RTX2080 Super, начал отключаться экран на несколько секунд, происходило это всегда рандомно как в игре так и на рабочем столе. Когда ставил карту добавлял 2 планки оперативки, потом выставлял профиль xmp на 3600. Сначала думал что проблема в ней, но отключение Xmp и дефолтные частоты не помогли, думал проблема в самих планках, проверял с заведомо рабочими, но ничего не помогло. Пробовал несколько версий драйверов начиная с 440 game ready и studio, проблема осталась. Пробовал выставлять параметры tdrlevel и tdrdelay, не помогло. Обновил драйвера на чипсет и видеокарту, поставил новый биос на материнку, не помогло. Менял схемы питания CPU, ставил разные, не помогло. Пробовал отключать аудио карту Microsoft по рекомендации от EVGA не помогло.

Решил попробовать понизить частоты видеокарты в Evga precision, заметил что при сохранении параметров драйвер падал, при загрузке программы параметры вставали по умолчанию, в общем пытаясь сохранить параметры и каждый раз получая ошибку драйвера, решил что дело в моей видеокарте RTX 2080 super EVGA FTW, точнее в ее разгоне. Также была возможность проверить её на другом пк, но с процессором intel i5 7400, там такой проблемы не было. Далее купил карту rtx2080Ti EVGA FTW, потому что очень понравился дизайн и вообще она очень красивая, посмотрите сами (правда на фото версия Super, но по виду они ничем не отличаются, только шильдиком)

Наконец я получаю новую RTX2080Ti включаю ее, радуюсь что нет никаких глюков устанавливаю Precision сохраняю параметры и бабах опять черный экран, и все стало так же как и на версии super, падающий драйвер вернулся. Меня уже постигло отчаянье и я думал что все перепробовал, но вспомнил что кое-что еще осталось, а именно изменение схемы питания в панели nvidia, а точнее установка с баланса на максимальную производительность.
Как только я это сделал все падения драйвера прекратились, три дня стабильной работы без единого зависания!

Еще один момент до этого пользовался GTX1080Ti, RTX3070 и GTX1650, никаких проблем не наблюдалось, все началось с EVGA.
mO0I5Lqtcqs.jpg
8dcLhe5IWiI.jpg
1roH4LGnEUc.jpg

Dec 22, 2020
Hello

I have :
  • Ryzen 3800x
  • Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
  • 2x16 Gb GSkill 3600 Mhz set on XMP Profile
  • Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Everything is up to date, BIOS, drivers, Windows... Memtest did not find any issue.

I started experiencing the issue last days, at first it was only like once a day, then happened even more frequently. Mostly when using browser and / or entering / waking from sleep.
I changed nVidia Power Management Mode to maximum performance and today it did not happen but of course more time is needed.

Do we have a definitive answer about what is causing this ?

Dec 31, 2020
Dear All,
i have a nvdia 3090 and a Ryzen System:

Ryzen 5950X
ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero X570 + 64GB RAM BIOSes 3003/3101
nVidia 3090 FE, Driver 460.89
Enermax MaxTytan 1250 PSU

I have also error 14. On the sceen there is a complete freeze but the system is alive, it is trying 8 times to restartd wdm.exe but is failing with it. It happnes on idle or twice it happened in a game pause meu when the card is also clocking down to minimum i think because it is doing nothing. It never happened on load, playing ot using furmark or other load tools. I can control the system over RDP, i can see that the graphics card disapperaed form the system (it is fadet out, you see it even you make hidden devices visible in compmgmt) , i can cleanly reboot the rig.
Card was runnign well in socket 2066 system (Skylake-X), the issues came in with the new AMS platform.

No OC, UV, disabled Curve Optimiser profile, all has no impact on this issue, when the system is idling the risk that the nvidia card disappears from the system is omnipresent.

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-f37104-1609456456.jpg.html

ps.
Resetting Windows Power Plan(s) and switchig to "High Perforormance" hasn't helped
Changig nvidia card to "Prefer High Performance" increased idle power conumption by 100 watts bt not fixed the issue

And idea what else to try ? What helped the thread creator?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020
Hi,

i've found the issue. I have migrated the AMD system from Intel i9 Skylake-X X299 to Ryzen 5950 X570 without fresh install, i prepared and booted as it is on the new system and cleaned it up.
The Installed MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 2 lost its OC profile but it was still running in the background. After the migration ,the Afterburner failed to show the CPU cores corectly and i haven't seen all cores and possible parameter in the OSD config so i finally ignored the app for the moment because i was focused on the CPU OC. After i observed that the "freezers" have nothign to do with the CPU i did some investigation and tries, also with the help of this thread, finally nothing worked for me. The "Preferred Maximum Performance" mode of the graphcs card was the last try i did from this forum, what resulted in idle 80-100 watts more power consumption, less power boosting and finally even less points in "Unigine Super" Benchmark, same Points in "Unigine Heaven" and litle less performance in Valhalla and Serious Sam 4, but still - surface freezeres and a fully operable system via RDP. After some more observations i checked what else can affect power management and got the idea with MSI Afterburner which is even not workig correctly. I removed is and the RivaTuner app and removed all settings, switched card back to normal operation mode. Within 2 days constant on (disabled S3) with hours of Valhalla gaming an idle, keeping Curve Optimiser UV and OC on as it is (i saw no relation between OC and these freezers - they were always the same - too constant for OC related issues) the PC run well without any Error 14 freezes anymore and very stable, hours longm gamung fun, so also no freezes in game menu). On 30.12.2020 a new version of MSI Afterburner has been released on Guru3d, 4.6.3. Beta 4. I have reinstalled it and i was able to configure all cores correctly, i did also a Curve with the Scanner and saved it, someting what i havent't yet made on the Ryzen system. I have still no Error 14 / surface-freezes anymore. Right now i can say that the issue came from MSI Afterburner after the migration, was fixed removing it. If the reinstallation of same version would also help or bring the issue back i can't say, i tried newest verssion 4.6.3. Beta 4 and this results in stable system with same OC Curve on 3090 as on the previos Skylake-X platform.

If you migrate withot a fresh reinstall, observe MSI Afterburner, it can cause such issues. This system here has been multiple times migrated from Vista to Windows 8 to 8.1, from MBR to GPT/UEFI, to Windows 10 through multuiple Hardware releases and now finally to AMD x570 / Ryzen, there was no fresh insall since 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.