hang freezing after updating bios and fresh windows 7 install

hli29

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Hi there,
So I recently ran across a problem when I got a new case and gfx card. I installed a evga 750ti in place of my old evga 550ti. The motherboard wasn't recognizing it and stayed at the logo screen where as the old one would get past it. I updated the BIOS so the card can read it. But only found out my hard drive wasnt working so I fresh installed a new windows 7 os. There is a problem now that is the freezing issue, not by BSOD however. I tried removing each component individually as well tried my old 550ti; the issue is still occurring.

My build:
motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V micro atx with an i5-2310 cpu @ 2.90ghz
hard drives: OCZ vertex 3 84gb, hitachi HDS721616PLA380 150gb
new gfx: evga 750ti
old gfx: evga 550ti
psu: evga 600w
wireless card tp-link WN851N

edit: currently in safe mode, and everything is running smoothly. I'm guessing it might be a program issue but not entirely sure.

hli29

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

It's quite random, sometimes when I just start moving my mouse it freezes, other times I'm watching a youtube video. I even leave it idle for updates and it will freeze.

Well you say safe mode runs smoothly so it can't be a hardware issue or safe mode wouldn't run at all.

It has to be a bad third-party driver or some third-party software which installs drivers (eg antivirus, firewall, CD/DVD burning software).
If that rings any bells, something you've recently installed on the OS, try uninstalling it.

hli29

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

is it recommended to restore to a previous point? If that were to fail; how likely is it that I need to fresh install windows, again?

edit: I've finally diagnosed it was my wireless card causing the freezing, I removed it and it is now fine