Hanging when booting from floppy

vtjedi

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2001
I am trying to format my hard drive and reinstall Win98 on it.

When I try to boot with my floppy boot disk it hangs at a point where it says:

AIC-6260-6360-6370 ASPI Manager for DOS version 3.68S

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Is this the Win98/98SE startup disk that you're using?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

that sounds like a scsi driver... do you have any SCSI devices in your machine?

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

G

Get a new boot disk

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

vtjedi

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2001
Do you know of any sites where I can download a new boot disk?

I made one and downloaded one and my system hangs with both.

G

no this is simple.. you can make one. You need to bypass the autoexec.bat and config.sys on the boot disk that comes with Win9x that tries to load drivers for ATAPI and SCSI for CD-ROM support. I'm quite sure it's hanging on that scsi card that has no CD-ROM attached to it. Don't mess with the autoexec.bat or config.sys on the boot disk. Make a new one.

Find a machine that has Win98 and use the run command with a blank floppy and type "format a: /s" no quotes. Copy the Format.exe, Fdisk.exe, and Mscdex.exe programs from the \Windows\Command directory and any other Dos command program you think you may need.

If you need ATAPI CD-Rom support (probably so unless your mb bios supports booting from CD-ROM, even then that sometimes gives problems), create an autoexec.bat and config.sys files containing the below.

Config.sys
--------------
DEVICE=A:ATAPI.SYS /D:MSCD001

Autoexec.bat
--------------
A:\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /L:L

You just need to put those two files along with a generic atapi driver on the floppy as well. You can generally find an dos atapi driver for cd-rom from the manufacturer's website. The L command designates the drive letter and you can follow the colon with any letter after C. I just L to help remember the paramater and keep it simple in case of multiple hard drive partitions.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

vtjedi

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2001
I just figured something else out that is happening...

It only hangs when I try and boot with cd-rom support.