Happy Birthday Firefox, You're Now 7 Years Old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
How does stat counter collect usage statistics?

"As of 1 June 2010, our tracking code is installed on more than 3 million sites globally."

Isn't it possible that most people who use firefox also use add-ons that interfere with their "tracking code"

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]FF8 is horrible. Crashes left and right....doesn't even need flash now. Still a memory hog. Stopped using FF after v4.[/citation]
Not gonna lie. FF almost never crashed on me, but FF8 has done it 2 times in 2 days. hope it is just a fluke.

As for memory, yeah over 300mb for 1 tab is pushing it, but with ram so cheap, that has not bugged me yet.

g-unit1111

Titan
I remember it took forever to get from version 2 to version 3 and then forever from 3 to 4, and now we're on 8.

Version 2 was still the best version of Firefox out there, too bad we can't use it anymore.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
FF8 STILL does not have a rendering engine that takes advantage of more than 1 CPU core. Retarded!
It's speed tests will go up drastically if it can use 1 core per tab like Chrome can.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]FF8 STILL does not have a rendering engine that takes advantage of more than 1 CPU core. Retarded!It's speed tests will go up drastically if it can use 1 core per tab like Chrome can.[/citation]

Firefox has always been multithreaded, and now uses the GPU itself more than ever. Chrome is pretty much a toy browser, no real features of note and it is far more unstable than Firefox and its clones. Of course if you're doing nothing but Facebook or adult imagery, you wouldn't ever need more than one core.

And for the rest of you whiners, go install MemoryFox and quit your crying.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]Firefox has always been multithreaded, and now uses the GPU itself more than ever. Chrome is pretty much a toy browser, no real features of note and it is far more unstable than Firefox and its clones. Of course if you're doing nothing but Facebook or adult imagery, you wouldn't ever need more than one core.And for the rest of you whiners, go install MemoryFox and quit your crying.[/citation]
wow I didn't know it was using GPU Power for itself. Now I know why the first card gets little hotter than the other two on my sli setup. Thank you ! Problem Solved! you deserve "Best answer from lordstormdragon "

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Not all functions use the GPU from your browser, but running a GPU monitor widget will let you know more readily how much RAM (texture space, generally) and GPU cycles Firefox is using. Kinda cool.

Generally it's Flash and HTML5 stuff that's being accelerated, not usually .jpg image-loading or text-rendering for example. But those aren't math-intensive functions usually. But that would explain the heat discrepancy between your two graphics cards, _Pez_, as I doubt Firefox would be accessing the second card at all.

Heavy 3D apps such as Maya and Max also aren't boosted by SLI/Crossfire, except for in pure GPU-based renderers such as iRay or Vray-RT. But your on-screen viewports even in very expensive software won't utilize that second card. Generally, SLI/Crossfire are geared towards heavy DirectX loads.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]FF8 is horrible. Crashes left and right....doesn't even need flash now. Still a memory hog. Stopped using FF after v4.[/citation]

wow, ff8 crashes less than 3.6 did for me, and it runs faster and seemingly lighter too.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Yes RAM is cheap but when it's taking almost a gig of ram the browser itself just starts freezing. I loved FF v4 but I went back IE.[/citation]

it freezes at about 1.5 gigs, what the hell kind of stapler are you trying to run it on anyway?

seriously, how long before the last format,
gpu, when was the last driver update
cpu,
os

tell us what makes it so bad for you, because im still useing 8.0a1 (2011-07-24) and couldnt be happier, though im not planning to upgrade to 8 full release, just because thats a hassle.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]Firefox has always been multithreaded, and now uses the GPU itself more than ever. ............[/citation]

Yeah, multithreaded but still the rendering engine will just use 1 core, even if your trying to restore 20 tabs on a beefy internet connection. Multi-threaded !=multi-core support, being multi-threaded is just a programming technique and if it happens to be able to keep two threads busy at the same time, well then good.

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I have gone back to default usage of FF since v5 (after using chrome for most of 2010), simply because I support FF and it has gone better.
However, memory usage is still behind FF.
The biggest issue is that if some memory intensive app is running (like syncing, copying or acronis), clicking on FF to open takes the longest time. At that time, only chrome opens (IE also fails). This is with 10GB of DDR3 1333, and a core i7-950 CPU.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Again, I urge everyone with memory issues to start using MemoryFox, a free Add-On. I'm not affiliated in any way, but when you've got the options to configure your browser any way you like, you may as well use them!

It's really nice to be able to configure your software and add functionality, something the Firefox community has always excelled at.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]acyuta[/nom]I have gone back to default usage of FF since v5 (after using chrome for most of 2010), simply because I support FF and it has gone better.However, memory usage is still behind FF.The biggest issue is that if some memory intensive app is running (like syncing, copying or acronis), clicking on FF to open takes the longest time. At that time, only chrome opens (IE also fails). This is with 10GB of DDR3 1333, and a core i7-950 CPU.[/citation]

firefox uses more memory on one tab than the rest, but on many tabs it uses less.

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]Again, I urge everyone with memory issues to start using MemoryFox, a free Add-On. I'm not affiliated in any way, but when you've got the options to configure your browser any way you like, you may as well use them!It's really nice to be able to configure your software and add functionality, something the Firefox community has always excelled at.[/citation]

im using memory fox on full system. some applications dont like that, but they never did run great after a period of not using them so i wont hold it against it. it makes chrome with 40~tabs take less than 200mb of ram.

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
How do you get memory fox to run on FF8 and 9b1. Through uninstalling FF9, reinstalling 3.6.., and then changing version no in help-troubleshooting info.???

Good thing is that FF allows this. Bad thing is that most do not know this (I found this after being frustrated with seeing my previous extensions not working from 4 or 5).

Status
Not open for further replies.