Question Hard crash during heavy gaming, now getting sporadic BSOD associated with memory

Jan 6, 2020
Need some advice on what may have happened. About two months ago I did a bunch of upgrades. New Asus Z390-E ROG Strix motherboard, i5 9600K CPU, and EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Edition. I already had some 16GB of 3200MHz DDR4 RAM from previously which I used. Things went together flawlessly and worked flawlessly up until the other night. Was about 2 hours into a sim racing session in VR when my system crashed hard. Screen froze, sound sounded like an alarm clock buzzer, everything seized up so had to hit the reset button. When system came back up, it notified me with a BSOD associated with memory management. I let it do it’s scan then restart, and things loaded up fine. However when I tried to restart Steam and VR, it immediately threw up another BSOD for memory. No sign that it overheated as both my GPU and CPU temps average in the mid-60’s celsius during heavy gaming.

So I began trouble shooting things with Scan Disk, Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, and System File Checker. System File Checker said it found a discrepancy but repaired it, everything else came up as working fine. Also checked my video card drivers and installed the latest version, then ran some Uningine video card benchmarking tests and everything was working fine. Then even ran full virus/malware scan which came up clean. I started up VR again and tried going to the game (Assetto Corsa Competizone) that it had crashed on. Steam suddenly wasn’t recognizing the game as installed any longer which was weird, so pointed Steam to reinstall in the same folder it was in and it quickly verified the file and started it up. All my save game settings and other settings in the game were gone. After fixing some settings I was getting ready to start a session, I got about 2 minutes into a game when it BSOD once again, this time with the message “attempted execute of noexecute_memory”.

Did some researching online and think I have it narrowed down to an issue with Windows possibly got jacked up when it hard crashed and I had to reset. That or my RAM is giving up the ghost even though it seems to be passing the RAM diagnostic scan. Not sure if the video card, and seems my hard drive (SSD) is passing all the tests and scans. I do intent to run MemTest86 later tonight when I get back home to test the RAM again with that. Any other guesses from the masses out there what it could be? Sure seems obvious something happened during that crash that is now causing the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

We will need you to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of your PSU and all the other items that were recycled from the older build.

Speaking of older build, did you reinstall the OS after your hardware upgrade? You should also make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Jan 6, 2020
Don't have everything in front of me now but here is what I do know.

CPU: Intel i5 9600-K
Motherboard: Asus Z390-E ROG Strix
Ram: Patriot Viper 4 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz (2 x 8GB)
SSD/HDD: OS is on SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm - SDSSDA-240G-G26
Have three other drives, the drive the game is on is a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Edition
PSU: EVGA 750 BQ 80+ Bronze (750watt)
Chassis: Zalman Z9 Neo ATX Mid Tower
OS: include the version of Windows 10 - 64-bit professional version, I don't have the version number in front of me but I do know it should be whatever the latest update from Microsoft is.

I did not reinstall windows after the upgrade. I went from an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and an i5 7600K to the current setup. I was prepared to reinstall, however Windows seemed to take the upgrade without issue. All I had to do was re-authenticate my version of windows using my product key. That is my next step if all else fails, reinstall windows, but seemed like it was all aces until that hard crash. Since that upgrade I've stress tested, tuned, and put a very large chunk of time doing heavy VR gaming without an issue. Something in that crash though must have broken something.

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2020
Problem has been identified. Couldn't get it to run long enough to create a USB boot for MemTest86, so ended up resetting Windows 10 with a wipe and reinstall. Still got a BSOD but was more stable, and was able to get MemTest86 image on USB and run it. One of my RAM sticks gave up the ghost. Over 300,000 errors and it was still on first pass. Other stick fine. Off to get some new RAM today.

Jan 6, 2020
Just another follow-up. After installing new RAM (PNY XLR8 16GB 3200MHz) everything is fixed. Since I reinstalled Windows have been slowly reinstalling all my base programs I run off my C: drive. Got to the point where I ran a userbenchmark test last night to see how things were performing, and this thing is now screaming fast. More so than it was before. All three categories at 110% or above. I'm think that previous RAM I had has problematic for some time. Anxious to see how well it performs on gaming now once I get everything reinstalled and setup again.