Question Hard crash while gaming with a new PC build. Lost on what to try next.

Aug 17, 2019
Hi All,

I'm having some hard crash issues with my relatively new PC build that I was hoping I could get some help with. These have been occurring since the first assemble a few months back. My PC will spontaneously hard crash (turn off and restart with no warning) while playing some games. Sometimes after a few hours, more lately, after just a couple of minutes.

No blue screen or error message. This only happens while playing games, and specifically graphically taxing ones such as The Witcher III, The Forest, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Borderlands 3.Less taxing games such Northgard and (very rarely) Dota 2 don't crash. It has caused me to avoid the crashing ones, and I'm a bit sick of it. I have had no crashes with any other use of the PC. No overclocking done at all.

Event log: The previous system shutdown at ... on ‎... was unexpected. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

What I've tried so far and hasn't helped:
--------------------
Used DDU to uninstall and reinstall my drivers.
Reinstalled WindowsUsed memtest86 to test RAM. Left it overnight. No errors.
Used prime95 to test my CPU. No issues. CPU temps will go up to around 70°C when under full load.
Ran 3D mark demo. No issues.
Reset Radeon settings to default.
Set DRAM to 2800HHz (instead of auto).
I had a big fan blowing into the case to cool things down.

Replaced my power supply.
Swapped graphics cards from AMD to NVIDIA.
Tested RAM sticks individually.
---------------------

It seems to me the only things left are the motherboard and CPU. Suggestions on which is more likely, or help with what to troubleshooting next would very much appreciate.
Windows 10, Education
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard Had to use BIOS Flashback
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card: RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC
Power supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX