Hard disk click followed by computer freeze and a blue error screen if left for about 5 minutes

Urkedurke

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
My hard disk will from time to time produce a click sound (just one click NOT clicking) like it shutdown followed by the freezing of my computer.

This started happening a month ago. Sometimes it dose not happen for a week and sometimes it happens 3 times a day and sometimes it will click twice, freeze the after about 3 minutes continue working(happens rarely). To fix this I power the computer down with the switch in the back and restart. It works normally after that.
I have no valuable data on the hard disk but the forceful powering down worries me as it might damage my other components even tho I have read this is not a risk to the other components, please confirm.

Note: It happens most often when I'm using chrome.

I have downloaded HD Sentinel which says hard disk health is perfect. I'm down to 3 suspects.
1. Temperature:
HD Sentinel shows a average temp of 39-42 Celsius and I don't think this is a problem for this happens very rarely(happened only once or twice) when I'm gaming with full load on.
2. Power supply:
This might also be a problem but again I doubt it as again it doesn't happen when I'm gaming (happend only once or twice). I used a power supply calculator and it says its fine (please confirm) - specs at the bottom. Also if you can please tell me how much excess power I have.
3. There is a corrupt part of the hard disk making it crash the system.
While I was googling my problem I saw this mentioned a few times. Please give instruction on how to check if this is the problem and fix.

Finally it just might be because my drive is old. Really old actually more then 7-8 years as I read it is the part of the computer that breaks most often.

Thank you for reading.

Since your here maybe recommend some hard disks since I'm think of buying a new one anyway. Thanks.

Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM 8.0 GB
Hard drive: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145233
Power supply: https://imgur.com/3uSSxfn

Solution

When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows?

As far as the PSU goes, well I would replace it before it cooks the GPU.

When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows?

As far as the PSU goes, well I would replace it before it cooks the GPU.

Solution

Urkedurke

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

Never. So 7-8 year ago.

Oh boi. What you mean cooks?

Do a clean install of Windows.

Cooks means makes it go bad.

Urkedurke

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

uhh oh well i guess I'l get a new power supply then i have a 100$ so that should be enough and do a clean install of windows and see if that fixes it thanks for the replys. Also I'm scared to game now oh wow I taught i had enough power jezus chirst i got lucky.