Absolute.Red

Commendable
Jun 17, 2020
My WD hard disk is making some weird clicking noise when writing stuff to it and if i run crystaldiskmark, the sound just goes to overdrive.
I've checked the health of the drive using crystaldiskinfo and everything looks pristine. Also i've done some basic drive diagnostic using HDDScan and found no errors.
Everything is working fine.
so is the sound normal? or is my drive going to die anytime?

Last edited:
Solution
If this is your only drive I would back up important files right away. Plan on replacing it and preferably buy a SSD. I had a PC with a HDD and had to replace the drive 3 times over 10 years. None of them gave an indication they were failing other than being noisy.

If you can afford it buy one SSD for the operating system and another one for games, personal files, etc. Having all your eggs in one basket is risky, especially on a HDD.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
If this is your only drive I would back up important files right away. Plan on replacing it and preferably buy a SSD. I had a PC with a HDD and had to replace the drive 3 times over 10 years. None of them gave an indication they were failing other than being noisy.

If you can afford it buy one SSD for the operating system and another one for games, personal files, etc. Having all your eggs in one basket is risky, especially on a HDD.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

Absolute.Red

Commendable
Jun 17, 2020
32k hours, making new noises....prepare for instant death.

Start a good comprehensive backup routine, and use it until it dies.

That Time of Death may be 5 minutes from now.
i honestly dont know if its new. i just never listened to the sound until yesterday and i have a seagate one next to it that makes some sounds too but not as much as the WD.
maybe WD is 1Tb and seagate 500Gb, so they are making different sounds.
dont know

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
i honestly dont know if its new. i just never listened to the sound until yesterday and i have a seagate one next to it that makes some sounds too but not as much as the WD.
dont know
It’s probably best to replace them ASAP. Backup your files and get an SSD. As mentioned by @emitfudd, it’s a good idea to get two drives (one for the operating system and one for files and software).

USAFRet

Titan
dont know
All spinning drives make noise. All a bit different.

A drive making NEW noises is never a good thing.

But, you should ALWAYS be prepared for a drive, of any type and age, to die in the next 0.25 sec. I've personally had this happen.