Hard disk drive disappeared!

My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized properly by
the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in Windows
Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive shows
up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it went?

"Steve Henry" <SteveHenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized properly by
>the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in Windows
>Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive shows
>up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it went?

Try this: "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084).

--
(tm)

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try disk management "diskmgmt.msc" from the run command. Then re-allocate
the drive letter for the slave drive.

Neil
"Steve Henry" <SteveHenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized properly
> by
> the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in Windows
> Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive
> shows
> up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it
> went?

Can't reassign a drive letter since Windows doesn't see the drive. As far as
Windows is concerned it doesn't exist.

"neil" wrote:

> Try disk management "diskmgmt.msc" from the run command. Then re-allocate
> the drive letter for the slave drive.
>
> Neil
> "Steve Henry" <SteveHenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My primary slave HDD just up and vanished on me. It's recognized properly
> > by
> > the BIOS and accessible from a DOS prompt. It doesn't show up in Windows
> > Explorer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. The primary master drive
> > shows
> > up fine. There is a vacant drive letter available. Any ideas where it
> > went?

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sorry my mistake, my brain very neatly skipped the bit about "doesn't show
in device manager".

I guess you've not changed any hardware, & when you say a DOS prompt is that
within windows or a boot floppy or something else. Could you try a system
restore ??