Hard Disk Drive Quandry

MrOffensive Nik

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
I Have a wd1001faes sata 1tb drive it appears without taking it apart that the PCB is burnt - Ive read a few of these threads most of the the disk doesn't power up mine spins up fine and sounds normal PC bios even recognizes it as a 1tb sata drive smart capable and status bad tells me i need to back up but as soon as windows kicks in it just tells me hard drive failed i put it into a different windows PC it recognizes it as a drive but has no letter and the wmi can not populate it then after 5 min or so it disappears until i pull the leads out then put them back in Ive looked in to getting a replacement PCB there is one available however id have to swap out the bios - i wouldn't even know what that was let alone how to swap it - its imperative i retrieve what ever i can from this drive would it be better to just send it off any recommendations as to where? http://instagram.com/p/wvPZkQg0-1/ this is a pic of where the scorch marks are - right on 5 holes to of which are inside a gold circle looks pretty important???

A Linux system can often read data from a disk where the Windows file system has started to fail and you can download one free of charge and burn it to a CD which can boot and run on your PC.

Secondly, a replacement PCB might get you out of trouble but while there's life in the drive it's more likely to be the disk itself and not the circuitry. I don't understand why you think your BIOS would ve affected by such a change - put simply, it wouldn't be.

MrOffensive Nik

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

No i'm talking about the bios on the pcb - that must stay with the drive as they are all individual the pcb can be replaced but you need to keep the old pcb's bios and solder it on to the new pcb

MrOffensive Nik

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
this is the info i was given ive read this in all three sites ive looked at for a replacement board:

1. As long as your Board Number is 2060-771640-003 , our board is same as yours in hardware

2. For this model hard drive(even identical from outside),every PCB BIOS IC is different from each other. The BIOS IC swap is a MUST !!!

You should swap the BIOS IC before you swap the PCB, in order to make the replacement board compatible with your Hard Drive.
We swap the BIOS IC for our clients for free, but we need you to ship your board to us.
If you want to swap the BIOS IC by yourself
please email us to let us know, otherwise we will wait for your board to come to us.
Tutorials: How to swap the PCB board