Hard Disk Failure after Win 8.1 update

TerriO

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
My Toshiba Satellite (just 2 years old) updated about 3 weeks ago to 8.1. I didn't bother my computer until a couple of hours later, when my husband noticed the hard drive failure message. The computer started slowing down also immediately. It took a couple of days to scan the drive for errors and it did not find any. I tried to run my virus scan and it would not load. I even tried to backup my drive before replacing and it has been a nightmare. Is there any way that I can just change the drive and start from scratch without dealing with the original drive?

RealBeast

Titan
Only if you have a full installation disk. Unfortunately, unless it is a retail version of 8 the disk is not available unless you bought it from Toshiba with the computer.

RealBeast

Titan
It has the key in the bios but you need an installation disk to install to a new drive. The old drive would have an OEM partition that will do a clean install (restore) to the old drive, but not to a new drive.

You cannot download a Windows 8 disk image unless you buy a retail key, that image will not work with an OEM key. You need an OEM Windows 8 disk image and Microsoft never released those, and sadly also discouraged laptop makers from including a disk by imposing additional fees for doing so.

If the old drive works, you could restore the install from the OEM partition. HERE is the process to restore from the OEM partition.

You could then update to 8.1 or 10, or clone the drive to another drive or SSD with cloning software.

TerriO

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

If I am having trouble accessing the hard drive, how can I clone it? I tried to make a bootable usb, but I don't have the disk or have access to my folders. I did try to do a reset, but it said that the hard drive was locked. How would I unlock it?

TerriO

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I have a recovery disk from Windows Vista. I have a couple of old machines. I did backup to an external drive, but I'm having trouble accessing it. I have tried to go in through Safe Mode, but have not been able to it.

RealBeast

Titan
A Vista recovery disk won't help much.

I would try running SeaTools for DOS from HERE. You will make a boot CD and start up your computer from it and use it to attempt to detect and test your HDD to determine if it is working properly.

Also, if you gently touch the drive while it is on, do you feel a small vibration that indicates it is running?

TerriO

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I tried part of this. I got to check reset PC and it said that a partition was missing and it could not be completed. If I do the recovery method, which should I choose: delete all data and partitions from the hard disk or delete all partitions and overwrite all sectors on the hard disk?

TerriO

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I'm trying to see if I can download it to a flash drive and upload it on the laptop. No, there is not a small vibration.