Hard Disk Failure / New Hard Disk selection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Cooler Master is known for making junk PSUs as well. Apparently some of their larger ones are OK, but I wouldn't use them. I don't understand why people ask for confirmation after they buy the part. A list of available PSUs before the purchase would have been much wiser.

The PSU is large enough just not a good brand.

fauxpas1900

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Zorg, I couldnt wait because I cannot afford to be without a PC, and I have just one PC. :-(

I can exchange cooler master for something else. What do you suggest?

Here's the other brands that are available here.

1) Microtek
2) Quantum
3) Intex
4) QHMPL (not too sure).

I can also try newegg for a certain brand, but i need to check whether newegg delivers to india, which is doubtful. But in case they do, I can send the Coolermaster back to the supplier and take some other accessories in return.

But Zorg - Both the old PSU and this new Coolermaster are giving the same voltage, as is shown by the screenshot i put on. What does this suggest to you? Is this enough to conclude that most probably the seagates i got were bad.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It suggests that the numbers from the mobo are wrong. The only way to verify that is to get a cheap meter and test the voltage at one of the connectors.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any of those brands. You might try Google to see if you can find any reviews that say more than how pretty the box is.

fauxpas1900

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Yesterday I asked someone to get me a multimeter from which I will check voltages manually. Waiting for the multimeter to come to me.

Just 25 minutes back I saw a particular column in the BIOS (after pressing DEL on the Boot Screen) that says H/W monitor....

Here are voltages that are shown by the BIOS.

V (12V) : 11.985 V

V (5V) : 5.171 V

V (3.3 V) : 3.342 V

So if the BIOS reports these voltages, perhaps the PSU is giving correct voltages?

I replaced coolmaster with the old PSU just to check voltages from the BIOS, and it reports the same.

Are values straight from the BIOS reliable?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
They look better. Unfortunately you can't necessarily rely on the BIOS to give you the proper voltages. The only way to be sure is to use a meter, as I think RetiredChief mentioned earlier.

The real test is when the PSU is under maximum load and everything is heating up. Try running prime95 and the voltage monitor to see if those voltages hold up under load. 350w may be ok of there is sufficient amperage on the 12v rails. On the side of the psu is a label with the specs for each of your psu's Can you post a pic of them?

As Zorg and I have pointed out, You really should verify with multimeter.
I would tend to think that the Bios reading is probably correct.

HOWEVER, as geofelt stated, measurement when in Bios is at a reduced loading. I would run ATI Tools, 3d view as this would place a heaver load on the +12V than testing the CPU using prime 95.

1. open up your program for viewing voltages. Connect your multimeter to molex connector Gnd/Rtn -> +12V. Compare Multimeter with software value. This will give you the Delta @ idle. Leaving the multimeter connected, start ATI Tools, 3d view, Monitor your multimeter and software values. You know have a delta for under load. If the multimeter reading drops below 11.5, then I would suspect your PSU, Then either 10 your PSU is poor quality, or 2) your PSU is not capable of suppling sufficent power on the +12 V Rail.

AS ZORG POINTED out research the PSU before you buy!.

fahad9002

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Bro, i've been using seagate barracuda (7200 RPM) 80 GB for the last 8 years with not even a single problem, must be something wrong with your system or supply plz check.