thy3thy3

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Hey, I'm new here. Nice Forum. =D

ByTheWay, I bought a computer last year (January). I used a SATA to IDE converter to use in my other computer, when I Plug in and swithed on, the computer crashed(didnt burn) but my hard disk lets out some electronice burning smell.

MyHardDisk is by SeaGate. 160GB. As i know SeaGate offers 5years waranty, so can i send in my product for waranty?

ThankYou.
Thy3

thy3thy3

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008

The does repair or replace. Because I went to some shops and they say once a HardDisk is burnt, it will never ever come alive again.

The best way to know if they will replace you drive is to call or email their RMA department.
If it is under warranty, there is a good chance they will replace it.
Try the above customer service number and see what they say.

Zenthar

Distinguished
When you file for RMA it's normally a replacement they send.

thy3thy3

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
I livechat with them, gave them their serial number. At the end he told me was: SIR! you have to go to the place you bought this product (the shop was closed down)..
So Sad.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Did you tell them the place was closed? If you didn't, contact them back and see what they have to say. Believe it or not, some companies still have good customer services ;)

thy3thy3

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008

I did tell them, all he said was: Sir, I dont have any infomation about your device, you need to go back to your shop where you bought. I get stirred up and ended the chat. =P

ThankYou

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
HMMMM ,,According to the Seagate website ,unless you live in the Ukraine,or Russia,you should be able to get the RMA info you need either registered or as a guest,,just look under warranty information..:)

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah, what the above guy said.....seagate is normally very good about warranties. The only thing i can imagine is either A. you bought it OEM, or B. you bought a premade system.....in which case you should call the company you bought it from. It's pretty much a given you won't ever see your data again, but the plus side to the whole situation is storage is senselessly cheap at this point ;-) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001305%2040000014&Manufactory=1305&SubCategory=14&SpeTabStoreType=0

looks as though you can get a 160gig for 40$

thy3thy3

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
After waranty will they replace me the new one or the old one? If a new one I can buy a new one. Buy i wish to have my old files back.

Btw, can i send to other shops and ask the shop to deliver to seagate for me?

Zenthar

Distinguished
I'm not sure of what you mean.

Under the warranty, if you send them your defective HD, they will send you a new one (it might not be "new", it could be refurbished), but you will not have your files back. The warranty convers the device, not the data, you are responsible for doing backups in order to prevent data loss.

There are recovery services, but chances are it will cost more than what your entire computer is worth.