Hard disk input/output error

Heisenberg47

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I recently bought a new Seagate 500 GB internal hard disk drive for my desktop and installed Linux. It was working fine for few minutes and then suddenly it hanged. I tried to open directories and got this error message "Failed to execute child process input/output error while rad on [path]". I then checked with Disk utility and it shows the same error. I observed my HDD LED on casing was not blinking at all (continuously ON). I rebooted and directly checked with Disk SMART test but found no error. IT was showing that disk was OK. Suddenly after few minutes same problem happened. Then I installed windows 8 on it. It now works fine. It doesn't show any I/O error but still LED doesn't blink.
I did not get what was the problem. Is my Hard drive faulty? or was it Linux distro that created the problem?

Solution
I/O error causes by the devices are unable to communicate with the computer. In your case it is mostly like there is the driver like the chipset driver is not compatible with the Linux. If you install the win8 that comes with Microsoft chipset, and it does compatible with most. So do worry the HDD, it is the Linux system with driver compatible issue.
I/O error causes by the devices are unable to communicate with the computer. In your case it is mostly like there is the driver like the chipset driver is not compatible with the Linux. If you install the win8 that comes with Microsoft chipset, and it does compatible with most. So do worry the HDD, it is the Linux system with driver compatible issue.

Solution

Heisenberg47

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Thanks for your reply. It seems like my windows 8 has the same problem too. To make sure I tested my hard disk with seatools and it passed all tests. I then booted from USB. After few minutes it showed the same error when I tried to access the drive. I removed the power cable from HDD and reconnected it (without system shutdown) and it started working again for few minutes. What does it indicate?
Randomly it is showing input/output error. One thing I observed, even after disconnecting the power cable of hard drive, hdd LED stays ON.