Hard disk issue

Titt0

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Hello all.

First, I would like to apologize for what will probably be a long post.

I've ran into a problem with one of the hard drives on a computer where I work and I don't know how to solve it. Here's the deal. A couple of days ago, when I came to work and started up the computer, a disk check pops up and says there are inconsistencies with the disk (Western Digital 2tb, WD20EARS-00S8B1 if it matters). Naturally, I let it run its course. I work with a lot of really large files that get opened and edited a lot, so I figure something got messed up in the process or something. The disc check ran it's course successfully, I got into Windows (XP, SP3) and everything was fine. The next morning, check disk again. I let it do its thing, and again all is fine. Then today, the same, but when I get into Windows and try to open My Computer, it starts up very slowly and takes almost a full minute to bring up the contents of the computer. When it finally does, I can see the disk in question. However, while the letter is the same, the label is gone and I can't access it. Even trying to right click and get to "properties" takes a whole minute or more.

I went to Device Manager, and the disk is there as usual. So I went into disk management, and saw that the disk is shown as "healthy" but 100% free, as if there are no files on it. And yet, the check disk that runs before windows clearly identifies it by the right label and checks files as it runs. The only thing that check disc does differently today is that it doesn't run until the end (where you get the info about the disk, bad sectors, etc.), but rather stops at second step (or third) and says there is insufficient space to recover lost files. I find it doubtful because, while the files on this disk get opened and edited a lot, they mostly remain the same size. Moreover, I haven't been adding any new data to that particular disk in the last couple of days, just opening the files which I need for photoshop and saving the edits on a different disk which I use for work in progress. Hence, the result shouldn't have been different from the chkdsk yesterday given the fact that free space didn't change (I always keep about a quarter of a disk free).

I also ran the Crystaldiskinfo which I use to keep an eye on my drives. While it took a minute or so to start up, when I finally had a chance to look at the disk info, it reports the state as "good" and nothing really standing out as far as I can tell.

Now, I suspect (hope) that the files are not really gone and that something got messed up when it comes to booting the disk itself, something written where it shouldn't be. However, I don't know nearly enough about it to go messing about and risk losing the data which might be still there and undamaged. So any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Yes, within the same post.

I went back to the computer to get the exact designation of the hard disk before I post this and decided to let the check disk run again for like the fourth time today. Oddly enough, this time it went through all steps, gave me the info (no bad sectors, correct amount of free/used space, the works), and when I got into Windows I could see the disk and access the data. While this is good news, I am still far from comfortable with this disk and would definitely like to know if it might be dying. Clearly something is bothering it. So if you could recommend a course of action at this point, it would be great.

Titt0

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Thank you both for the prompt response.

I ran the diagnostic and got green across the board. I only had time to do the quick scan as my shift ends in about half an hour, but the disk passed the scan. Also, I looked into the SMART data, and though I don't really know what most of that stuff means, every segment had a green check mark next to it, so I figure it's not bad.

Yes, I have the data backed up. And I figure I could probably format the drive and restore the data, but it's a lot of data and I would hate to do it before I actually know whether the drive is fine or not.

It's not my main drive. It's a drive I use specifically for storing the files I work with. I don't know if it's relevant to the issue, but a couple of weeks ago I did a defragment (which went fine), though it took most of the night to complete.

Finally, the drive is about three quarters full.

EDIT: Also, something that also might be relevant to the issue. I noticed today, after I was finally able to access the drive, that it's really slow when trying to load the data from it or copy data from it. Like 4-5mb/s slow. This wasn't the case before this check disk/unable to access drive issue. I've copied/accessed data just fine yesterday and the day before.

Titt0

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
OS drive also passed the short test and is all green. It's a brand new drive which I put in when I last installed the OS (a couple of months ago).

I'll set the extended test to run and see what happens in the morning (shift almost done).

Titt0

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
UPDATE: I left the extended test to run overnight. And after 16 or so hours, it's only about 1/6 of a way through with the estimate of about 117 hours before it's done. I'm rather certain that this isn't normal behavior, as the test says large drives should take several hours, and not several days.

Should I try formatting the drive? Or zero fill? Or just toss it in the bin?

Titt0

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
The warranty has passed a month or two ago. Funny how things seem to break down just about when the warranty's gone.

And we're a very small business, so I technically am the IT dept. I could call a person or two who could check it out, but at the rates they are charging and at the prices drives are these days, I'm probably better off just purchasing a new one. More so because chances are they would come and look over it and simply say: buy a new drive and take my money.

I'll try full formatting the drive and see what happens when I have time. If there are no improvements in the performance, I'll just toss it and by a new one.

Thanks for the help everyone. This thread can be closed, I guess.