Hard disk light went off on Windows pc

srijita235

Reputable
Jul 4, 2018
Hi,
I had this problem with my Windows 7 compaq desktop the other day. I was watching YouTube with headphone on when suddenly I heard this clicking sound followed by a monotonous noise. The screen at the same time appears to have colorful stripes (red,blue,green...) like situation. The CPU blue power light is on but hard disk yellow light is completely off. I can't shut down the CPU by pressing power button so I had to switch off ups and main switch.
Since then every time I tried to switch on PC the blue power light is on,CPU fan is on but HDD light is off. Also the screen remains completely black these times.
The only problem I noticed the past 4-5 months is Firefox becomes unresponsive sometimes. I had this crystal disk info software which didn't indicate any problem on HDD but i last checked a month ago.
So can anyone please give me any rough idea atleast on what could have possibly gone wrong ?
Thanks.

Solution
Could be a bad power supply, maybe bad motherboard. Need to test components to narrow issue down. See if it starts with just a bare motherboard and RAM, no hard drive connected, no video card if you have one.