Hard disk lost after using in NAS

voodi

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Hi,

I recently bought a secondhand NAS and put my old 1TB backup drive in it. After I put it in, the NAS removed all my data from my hard disk, I think?. Quite shocking because there where lots of files I didn't want to lose. I connected it to my PC to checkup what I had done. The Harddisk is still showing up in disk manager in Windows as a online, primair partition. Though there is no drive letter assigned to the disk and not showing up in explorer. I installed EaseUS Data recovery to check if the files were still on the disk. And yes, surprisingly enough, it sees every folder I had on it. When I want to recover, the whole structure is messed and data appears unstructured with weird names in a couple of folders.
Is there any way I can keep my original folders and recover (or even without recovery) my whole disc with the original folder/file names?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi there voodi,

You have mentioned that the drive does not have a letter assigned but does it have healthy partitions and file system(is the drive shown as raw)? If it is, you can check this thread out: http://forum.easeus.com/viewtopic.php?t=22649
If only the letter is missing, you can try assigning one.
Regarding the files with different names, you can try using some other recovery tool. It may retrieve the files the same way that they were named.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

If you have another place that you can store the files you can copy them from EaseUS to there and then back on to the hard drive I think. If not then try minitool power data recovery, I have a serial so if you are using it PM me for it :)

voodi

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

To retrieve the files is not the problem, but after recovering, every JPEG file is in one folder and named file223, file224 etc. Even when the recovery software recognize the folders and files while scanning. But when I really recover the files, it is all unordered. There must be a way to keep original folder and file structure?

Hi there voodi,

You have mentioned that the drive does not have a letter assigned but does it have healthy partitions and file system(is the drive shown as raw)? If it is, you can check this thread out: http://forum.easeus.com/viewtopic.php?t=22649
If only the letter is missing, you can try assigning one.
Regarding the files with different names, you can try using some other recovery tool. It may retrieve the files the same way that they were named.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Solution
Most, if not all, NAS devices use a non-windows format - usually one of the Linux formats - for their disks. So when you put the disk in the NAS it will have been reformatted. The manual for the NAS really should have warned you that putting a disk in the NAS would erase all data on it.

You could try one of the many upartitioning/unformatting utilites to see if the files can be recovered with their original directory structure and names, but I wouldn't be 100% confident of success. The fact that you have already done recovery mitigates against further success.

voodi

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I used the software "GetDataBack", It was way faster and it was able to keep my folders and files structured and originally named. Best program of the ten I tried!

TRENDING THREADS