hard disk not detecting on laptop after using on lg smarttv...... pls suggest

SRSS

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
seagate 500 GB hard disk not detecting on laptop having windows 8 after using on LG smartTV...... but detecting 8 GB pendrive on laptop after using it on LG smart TV ..........................PLEASE suggest

Solution
It seems like there's no file system recognized by the OS. This sometimes happens when you use a drive with a device like TV, DVR, PVR, etc. Try accessing the HDD via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, to see if you'd be able to get to your files, or give it a go with data recovery software: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm.

Please keep me updated.
Hey there, SRSS.

By not detecting, do you mean that it does not pop-up in Windows Explorer (This PC, My Computer), or have you checked if it is detected in Device Manager and Disk Management? You could also post a screenshot of what you see in Disk Management if possible. Here's how to open it: How to access Disk Management in Windows to manage hard drives.

I'd recommend that you try the drive with a different computer if possible and a different USB cable as well, to see if the same thing happens. If you don't have valuable data on it, you could download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test the drive for errors and bad sectors.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

SRSS

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
hello,
this is a external USB HDD of 500 GB, when connected to laptop it shows in disk management as working properly but not showing in win explorer. i try this on different computer but the same problem. I dont want to lost my data on disk its important. in all properties it showing disk working properly and its working properly on my LG smart TV. I am able to see images and videos on LG smart TV.

Would you please post the screenshot of what you see in Disk Management. It might be helpful to see what it says about the drive's partitions.
If there's no issue with the partition/s or the File System, then you just might need to change the drive's letter in order for it to appear in Windows Explorer: How to change the drive letter assignment in Windows.

Other than that if you can see everything properly on the TV you could transfer the data via flash drives or another (preferably empty, so that the same thing doesn't happen again) external drive, by connecting it to the TV. This is of course if you have more than one USB port.

It seems like there's no file system recognized by the OS. This sometimes happens when you use a drive with a device like TV, DVR, PVR, etc. Try accessing the HDD via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, to see if you'd be able to get to your files, or give it a go with data recovery software: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm.

Please keep me updated.

Solution