Hard disk partition with os intact

gajarajans

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hello,
I have purchased a new laptop preloaded with windows7. How to partition this HDD with out disturbing the OS and other softwares

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hi,

1st,
Why would you want to do it? In the past I used to think it's best to have a C partition for the system, and a D partition for the data, just in case I have to reformat the system partition, without having to copy all the data first.
But nowadays, in the age of multiple terabytes external hard drives, it's better to have only one partition, because you can easily make a copy of the whole laptop drive before a reformat. Not to speak about reformatting being a delicate operation, so one wouldn't want to do it, while important and irreplaceable data resides on the same disk.

2nd,
to make more partition(s), first you need to resize the system partition ( http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/ ) then on the free space create the new partitions.

Just promise me that you'll be careful, and check everything twice, before you make any modifications, because I wouldn't want to see you needing to reinstall your system.