Hard disk partitions are not usable/visible. Please help.

plastichellhamer

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Hello everybody and sorry if this is a stupid question. I just got a new computer and installed Windows 8 successfully, except for the disk partitions, which do not use the total amount of memory I have (1 TB) and show only 2 partitions, even though I would like to have 3: C(for system) D and E of equal size for other files.

I will attach images to show the exact issue I have:
Ylstmcp.png

YylsEIM.png

Solution
Hello there & welcome, @plastichellhamer!

From the looks of Disk management, it seems like you have your D: partition but the file system is corrupted. This is why it is listed as RAW. Unfortunately, you will able to fix it once you re-format the partition by right-clicking on it. This, however, will erase all the data you have on it, so I really hope you have a backup of all important files somewhere else as well. As for the third partition, it is not even formatted (the black bar volume). You should be able to assign it the E letter and format it, once you right-click on it as well. The reformatting procedure should make all the volumes accessible and visible through the Windows Explorer again (This PC).

Let me know if...
Hello there & welcome, @plastichellhamer!

From the looks of Disk management, it seems like you have your D: partition but the file system is corrupted. This is why it is listed as RAW. Unfortunately, you will able to fix it once you re-format the partition by right-clicking on it. This, however, will erase all the data you have on it, so I really hope you have a backup of all important files somewhere else as well. As for the third partition, it is not even formatted (the black bar volume). You should be able to assign it the E letter and format it, once you right-click on it as well. The reformatting procedure should make all the volumes accessible and visible through the Windows Explorer again (This PC).

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution