Hard disk placement

Leth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hey Toms

Ive just brought the parts for a brand new computer, I was surprised that the chassis(P180) suggested that the harddisks were placed vertically. Doesnt that damage the harddrive when running due to the disk applying pressure to the motor?

My harddrive is a Samsung spinpoint p120 and chassis is p180.

-Leth

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Doesnt that damage the harddrive when running due to the disk applying pressure to the motor?

How can a platter apply "pressure to the motor"? A rotating object experiences the same forces no matter what plane it rotates on - excepting, not within close proximity to a black hole, where tidal forces will have an effect. But if you're that close to a black hole...

Besides, the spindles of modern HDDs are floating in a liquid oil bearing mechanism which is also hemetically sealed.

So - you're safe.

Leth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Sounds great.

What a meant with the force thing was that gravity would pull with some force in the disk and this force would transfere over to the motor in some way, i dont know.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
aah, but I remember a good way to RMA hard drives that was used back in the day. (if you were unsatisfied with them for some reason).

Holding it at a 45 degree angle (while it was under heavy load) and giving it a quick series of whacks made the heads scratch the platter or smth. like that.
nowadays that won't work.