Hard disk problems

cookie

Hi,

I just build a PC for a m8 but I cant get XP to install,
the HD he gave me is a Maxtor 120gb which was
used in a SKY PLUS receiver but failed to work... Obv too big,
im thinking the MBR was written by the receiver and now
the drive wont boot,

I stuck in a another HD and XP installed ok,

I have used Maxblast and used the MBR recover bit but no avail, I used the
XP boot cd
recovery thing using Fixmbr etc.. is this drive shagged now?

The drive is recognized in my system ok, and formatted to full size.

Xp install gets to setting up all the files then does it's first reboot
without bootable
media present then just hangs, after Maxblast was used I got "no OS
present"

Any ideas?

Thx in advance
Phil

cookie

update...the drive is a Maxtor 4G120J6 which is supposed to work ok in a SKY
PLUS
could be a fauly drive any ideas?

Cookie wrote:

> update...the drive is a Maxtor 4G120J6 which is supposed to work ok in a SKY
> PLUS
> could be a fauly drive any ideas?

Could be the partition table isn't right for some reason. I'd start from
scratch and remove all partitions, not just a format of the partition
that's there. Then make a new partition and format.

It's also possible for the boot sector to be bad. If you don't already have
it, download the Maxtor diagnostic tools and run a full check on the drive,
including any repairs it thinks are needed. It should tell you if it thinks
the drive is unrepairable, which is RMA time.

> "Cookie" <lammbretta@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I just build a PC for a m8 but I cant get XP to install,
>>the HD he gave me is a Maxtor 120gb which was
>>used in a SKY PLUS receiver but failed to work... Obv too big,
>>im thinking the MBR was written by the receiver and now
>>the drive wont boot,
>>
>>I stuck in a another HD and XP installed ok,
>>
>>I have used Maxblast and used the MBR recover bit but no avail, I used the
>>XP boot cd
>>recovery thing using Fixmbr etc.. is this drive shagged now?
>>
>>The drive is recognized in my system ok, and formatted to full size.
>>
>>Xp install gets to setting up all the files then does it's first reboot
>>without bootable
>>media present then just hangs, after Maxblast was used I got "no OS
>>present"
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thx in advance
>>Phil

cookie

sorted! done a low level format with maxtor powermax :)

Cheers David
;-)

Cookie wrote:

> sorted! done a low level format with maxtor powermax :)
>
> Cheers David
> ;-)

Super. Glad to hear it.

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>Cookie wrote:
>>

>>>update...the drive is a Maxtor 4G120J6 which is supposed to work ok in a
>
> SKY
>
>>>PLUS
>>>could be a fauly drive any ideas?
>>
>>Could be the partition table isn't right for some reason. I'd start from
>>scratch and remove all partitions, not just a format of the partition
>>that's there. Then make a new partition and format.
>>
>>It's also possible for the boot sector to be bad. If you don't already
>
> have
>
>>it, download the Maxtor diagnostic tools and run a full check on the
>
> drive,
>
>>including any repairs it thinks are needed. It should tell you if it
>
> thinks
>
>>the drive is unrepairable, which is RMA time.
>>

>>>"Cookie" <lammbretta@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> the

TRENDING THREADS