• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Hard disk space lost after System Restore

shailu

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2005

My hard disk space was 28.5 GB on Aug 23, 2005. After then, I installed few
softwares for my scanner, Nero, Power DVD, Yahoo DSL Browser and few more.
After finishing all the installation, I checked the hard disk space, it was
21.5 GB. Then I restored system to the point of Aug 23, 2005. Then I checked
my hard disk space again. It was only 17.5 GB. I am wondering how that could
happen. Please someone help me to find the solution to have more disk space
in my hard disk.

Thank you

Shailu wrote:
> My hard disk space was 28.5 GB on Aug 23, 2005. After then, I installed few
> softwares for my scanner, Nero, Power DVD, Yahoo DSL Browser and few more.
> After finishing all the installation, I checked the hard disk space, it was
> 21.5 GB. Then I restored system to the point of Aug 23, 2005. Then I checked
> my hard disk space again. It was only 17.5 GB. I am wondering how that could
> happen. Please someone help me to find the solution to have more disk space
> in my hard disk.

System Restore does not restore your _entiree_hard_drive_ to a previous
state, it just restores key files.

simple really the restore point to restore to <after> the programs were
installed is still there - you can manage the space allowed for restore
points right click My Computer select Properties select System restore
select Settings good luck
Alasdair

--
please note email address requires editing

www.digitalmystic.co.uk

"Shailu" <Shailu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My hard disk space was 28.5 GB on Aug 23, 2005. After then, I installed
> few
> softwares for my scanner, Nero, Power DVD, Yahoo DSL Browser and few more.
> After finishing all the installation, I checked the hard disk space, it
> was
> 21.5 GB. Then I restored system to the point of Aug 23, 2005. Then I
> checked
> my hard disk space again. It was only 17.5 GB. I am wondering how that
> could
> happen. Please someone help me to find the solution to have more disk
> space
> in my hard disk.
>
> Thank you

Select Disk CleanUp, More Options, System Restore and remove all but the
latest restore point.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry