Hard disk w/ Windows 10 + Hard disk w/ Windows XP = ?

colotera

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
I was given a new PC by a friend and its running on windows 10.
It's wayy better than my dad's work PC (running on Windows XP) and he keeps on complaining about how slow his current one is. He wants to put his current computer's hard disk into the new PC.
So the question is: What will happen to the operation system? Will both the operation systems clash and cause problems?
Edit: He wants to keep Windows 10 on the new pc, obviously

Solution
It is quite likely that he will get a BSOD whenever he tries to boot from the Windows XP install, assuming that he can figure out how. The drivers for all of the devices probably don't support XP unless the hardware is old, and that seems unlikely. If you post the hardware specs I can say for sure.

Bottom line, bad idea.

RealBeast

Titan
It is quite likely that he will get a BSOD whenever he tries to boot from the Windows XP install, assuming that he can figure out how. The drivers for all of the devices probably don't support XP unless the hardware is old, and that seems unlikely. If you post the hardware specs I can say for sure.

Bottom line, bad idea.

Solution

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

32 bit machines work if there is more than 4 gb of ram in the system, the os just wont use anything over 4gb. Where did you hear that it wont work? That's not even close to being true

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
It will work. All dad has to to is power off machine and install the xp drive. Power on the machine and go to the bios and make sure the windows 10 drive is set as the main boot device. The system will boot into windows 10. What MIGHT happen is since there are two os present in the system you might get a black screen every time you boot up asking which os you want to load, but i've only seen this when doing fresh install to separate drives for dual boot purposes.

RealBeast

Titan
I disagree. What modern computers have XP drivers available? Heck, most Windows 10 laptops that are sold today cannot even run Windows 7, and the same is true with most newer motherboards and other devices.

edit: to actually run XP on a new machine the way to do it with a VM. Dad needs to modernize if he still uses an XP machine for work -- the only problem is if he has highly specialized testing tools that use old com ports and ancient code that will only run in XP or lower.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I think it;s highly doubtful that it'll work. But you can try. Expect BSOD's and lack of driver support if it even attempts to boot into XP though. Potentially even BSODs simply from having an older XP drive attached full stop, even if you're inside W10.

Why does you dad want to put an old drive with XP installed in the new setup and continue to use the W10 install it came with? I'm not understanding the rationale.

@tical2399, XP was much less 'adaptive' than W10 is...... moving an XP install to alternative hardware isn't the same as creating a dual-boot scenario by installing clean.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Why are people saying it wont work. He didn't say he wants to run xp, he said he wants to keep 10 as well as keep the xp hard drive and the stuff on it. Why would you need xp drivers? You'll be running 10 and have access to whatever files are on the xp drive

RealBeast

Titan
:pfff: The question is unclear, but you assume that all is okay. If he only wants the data there he could easily move it. It is unlikely that data is much good without the programs to run it, and those would need to be installed in W10 to work, although many would not be compatible.

And you also assume away the very wise question of the HDD type.

When a lot of people disagree with you, you should stop simply repeating yourself and critically look at the problems, and ask questions.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
@tical2399, Taking any drive with an OS installed elsewhere and attaching it to new hardware can always be problematic.
There are ways to move the data that are less likely to cause issues.

FWIW, I've had numerous situations taking a laptop drive with an older OS (XP, W7, W8) and attaching via SATA or USB to a W10 setup causing all kinds of issues, from freezes/lockups through BSODs, just in attempts to move data from them.

For whatever reason (a bit beyond my scope of knowledge), the same issues don't occur (in my experience) when there is driver support for the OS installed on the secondary drive. I've attached the same XP and W7 drives to another W7 setup I have (with driver support for XP) without experiencing the same issues.

RealBeast

Titan
Perhaps you could clarify exactly what he wants to do and what hardware he current uses as well as what software is important to his work. If he only wants the data he can transfer that to the new machine, but its usefulness depends on what programs he uses and if they are still supported, many are not.

Also the question of the HDD type is key: SATA or IDE?

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

No need to look critically at the problem because they is no problem to look at yet. I'm answering the question as asked. Also i've done this. I did this 4 months ago when somebody asked me to get pictures of an old xp machine. The drive was an ide drive and somebody wanted pictures off it.

I had an via pcie to ide card. I plugged the card in, attached the drive, connected a molex power cable and booted up. W10 booted up and gave me no issues getting the pictures off. I'm telling you it will work because I did it less than a half year ago.

As written, the op said he wants to know if they will conflict. They will not conflict.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
@tical2399, Attack the idea or argument, not the person. Back up your point & leave it at that.

You've successfully backed up some pcitures from an XP drive in Windows 10 - that's great.
Many people have had problems attempting the same thing (including myself on multiple occassions)- so your one success story doesn't confirm without doubt that the OP (or his dad) won't have any issues.

It's certainly worth trying & with any luck it'l just 'work' but there's no guarantees that it'll be without any headaches.

Lots of assuptions. We don't know the type of drive, we don't know what the OP wants to do once the drive is attached etc.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

You're right, we don't know. Thats why I answered the question as asked and assumed nothing more as most here seem to have done.