• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

hard disks

G

Hi,
I have a Quantum Fireball 6.4gig hard drive that I recently had set up as a dual boot system with win98 + Mandrake 7.2. I stuffed my 98 .VXD's and .DLL's and therefore had to clean the disk and try to reinstall.
I fdisked, formated and tried to reinstall Mandrake first and then win98. Each time I tried I got 90% the way through installation of each of the operating systems only to have the pc crash.
When rebooting after the crash I get GRUB showing on the drive and can't go anywhere. I tried fdisk /mbr but I get a boot sector virus warning. Then I tried to delete the partions but it tells me that I must delete any logical drives before deleting extended drives. So I tried deleting any logical partitions but when I did it told me there were no logical drives defined. This makes sense because there aren't any.

For some reason I can't get on to the Quantum help site.
I would try a low level format but my BIOS doesn't support it. (I have an IWILL KK266 motherboard + a Gigabyte ga-5aa aladin mother board)I have never done a low level format and don't know where to start.
I'm getting abit upset because I need a Linux machine for my studies.
Can anybody help please,
Thankyou jean.

jean eldridge

G

Linux Does funny things to hard drives, puts partitions there windows does not recognize. You have to use Quantums utility. Try partition magic this utility is awesome also I have actually used Western digital utility to remove Linux partitions. Once you get the partitions removed then re-do the disk like you would a new drive. Good luck hope this helps.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dpisplcst on 04/12/01 08:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS