Hard Drive Access Denied, including permissions.

DavisGalvin

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Hello, I'm running windows 8 64-bit from a solid state on a brand new desktop. The reason I got a new desktop is because the CPU on my old laptop died. I have the HDD from my old laptop in my new machine, but cannot access it. I can view it in explorer, but cannot open it.
9238108648_3f6de39d64_o.png
I've tried taking ownership via context menu, but all that happens is cmd opens for a second, then closes, and I'm still left without access. I've tried changing the ownership, and while it says that the ownership has changed over, I still don't have access.
9235328819_78ddd4687b_o.png
I then tried changing permissions in the Properties > Security tab (where I now show up, since I'm the "owner" of the drive),
9235328765_ec987431e5_o.png
and here's where I run into the real problem: I can't apply the security, because it claims that "access is denied".
9238108530_6645ce946e_o.png

I've been working on this for the better part of three hours, and can't seem to figure it out, so if you guys could help me out that would be stupendous. Hope I made it clear, let me know if there are any questions.

Solution
There might be a less drastic way to do this, but I haven't found it. Because this drive has inherited all aspects of ownership from the old machine, there is no way to effectively change ownership to the new SYSTEM where appropriate. The way to fix this is to do a disc wipe. Go go majorgeeks dot com and get a disc wiping program and clean that sucker, then repartition and reformat it under the new SYSTEM, and you'll be good to go.
There might be a less drastic way to do this, but I haven't found it. Because this drive has inherited all aspects of ownership from the old machine, there is no way to effectively change ownership to the new SYSTEM where appropriate. The way to fix this is to do a disc wipe. Go go majorgeeks dot com and get a disc wiping program and clean that sucker, then repartition and reformat it under the new SYSTEM, and you'll be good to go.

Solution

miniskate

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

What if i need to acces the files on that drive?