Hard drive access denied

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Hi all,

I have an issue that I have been unable to resolve after carefully following the instructions in the following thread, which described a very similar issue:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1650520/hard-drive-access-denied.html

My old PC died and I now have a new one. The old one was running on XP, and the current one has Windows 8 as its operating system. All of the data was backed up, but there is one file I require access to on the old hard drive, namely a .dbs file that contains large amounts of terminology for my dictionary software (I'm a translator).

Using a caddy, I have connected the old hard drive to the new PC. At first I couldn't anything but program files, and as the .dbs file I need is under Application Data, I had to do some fiddling to be able to access everything else. I can now see the file I want. However, if I go to copy it from its original location to any part of my new PC (boot drive, data drive, indeed anywhere), it says:

File Access Denied
You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file

When I then click Continue, it presents the following message:

File Access Denied
You need permission to perform this action
You require permission from Desktop\Will to make changes to this file

Desktop\Will is me. There is only one user account on my new PC. It was at this point that I started to follow the instructions on the aforementioned thread. But the error message remains the same. So I'm wondering whether it's an issue with my new PC or some setting/permission in Windows 8 that needs adjusted rather than necessarily a security setting on the old drive.

My user account on the old drive was password-protected, if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Idea, When ever I have problems access folders and file on protected driver such as your I use a takeOwnership registry edit. It gives you full access to the folders and files within a certain scope.

If you applied this to the entire drive it should give your current user account full read and write permissions to the drive. I think that the drive and file will currently be password protected and locked to the previous user account you had on your XP machine.

Here is a link for the reg hack - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Wtootell

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Idea, When ever I have problems access folders and file on protected driver such as your I use a takeOwnership registry edit. It gives you full access to the folders and files within a certain scope.

If you applied this to the entire drive it should give your current user account full read and write permissions to the drive. I think that the drive and file will currently be password protected and locked to the previous user account you had on your XP machine.

Here is a link for the reg hack - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Solution