Question Hard Drive and Sd Card Security?

May 17, 2019
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping somebody can help with a security question?

If you wipe a hard drive via dban and over write the data on an sd card via ccleaner. Is it possible for a virus to be left which can effectively ‘phone home’ when you re-connect to the internet and give away your ip address and therefore your location?

If it is possible could it only be done by the manufacturer on a chip level? Or is it possible that a virus could be installed before being wiped remotely by a hacker and for it to still exist after the drive has been wiped?

I don't have permanent internet access so please accept my apologies for not replying sooner than I do.

USAFRet

Titan
If you wipe a drive via DBAN, whatever is on there is gone gone gone. No virus, or any other data, is left.

Might some malicious code live in the drive firmware, placed there by the manufacturer? Sure.
That might exist with any item in your system.
This is highly unlikely, though. If that were a thing, someone would have discovered it by now. Such a thing couldn't phone home in isolation. Someone would have seen the traffic and investigated.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
There is a key point of difference between hard drives and solid state drives: HDs like being written to and you can use secure shredders( I recommend Eraser and Bleachbit has one) to easily make gone mean GONE.

Solid state devices don't like being written to the same way and shredding has a harder time happening on them.

This is part of the advantage of going with both kinds of drives in a rig for different purposes. Especially if you want files GONE; HDs are better.

TRENDING THREADS