Question Hard drive becoming inaccessible

Oct 9, 2019
Hi,

I've just built a new PC but I'm using the old storage (which is only a year or so old anyway) and I'm having some weird issues. On occasion after exiting dota 2 (could be other games but i haven't seen it yet) all the folders on my d drive become unnavigable with the error message "D:/foldername is not accessible - A device which does not exist was specified". Also, some of my icons in my taskbar disappear and the file explorer shortcut that is there, instead of opening to "This PC" just restarts file explorer (taskbar disappears and then reappears after a second or 2)

Any help would be much appreciated, if anyone needs any specs I'd be happy to share.

Oct 9, 2019
hdd-dskmngmt-and-sentinel.png

Here's the screenshot of dskmngmt and hdd sentinel with a short test result as well. I hope it's just a sata cable :)

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
It could be 4 things, lets starts from best to worst,
1st Sata cable, try to change it
2nd The drive probably the connector on the drive or the PCB ( put it in other computer if you can and try does it do the same problem)
3rd PSU not delivering enough power or bad psu ( possible but very hard its the psu Try changing the drive to other sata conectors)
4th the Sata controler on mobo (if only 1 drive fails change the the sata place, and if it fails again its not the mobo)

Oct 9, 2019
I have tried a couple of things and so far no issues. I have replugged the sata cable on both ends and also changed my PCs power profile so that the HDD never turns off. Hopefully I will have no more issues but I will update the post if it happens again. Thanks for your help everyone.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Oct 9, 2019
An unfortunate update. The issue happened again just now after my PC had been asleep for about an hour and not after playing any games. I will try changing the sata slot and see if there are any changes but if anyone has any more suggestions they would also be greatly appreciated.