Hard drive beeping

narcawticjdawg

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I'm using an external hard drive (one you plug in with a USB, in case external is the wrong term) and it started randomly beeping the other day.

beep
then five mississippi's later
beep

then it stops for a couple minutes, then repeats.

I had another hard drive fail not too long ago and bought this one to replace it (the other one was mechanical and had been used for over 46,000 hours [got it second-hand]). Now all of a sudden this one is randomly beeping. The only actual noticeable issues I've had with it from a software perspective is that my overwatch broke with the recent update and everytime I try to do something with it it freezes up and murders my computer.

narcawticjdawg

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

https://gyazo.com/4ab9a993aa01f96ebf0a9e6504376685
Specs screenshot, the external drive is listed as "ST2000LM007-1R8174 2000.3 GB" in crystaldiskinfo and it's a Seagate Backup drive

Also referring to the murders my computer comment, everytime I'd try to use the blizzard launcher or overwatch yesterday it'd freeze entirely then not launch, but launch a dead program using a small amount of memory in my process manager which I couldn't exit out of regardless of how many times I tried. It would then pretty much freeze every program on my computer for like 10 minutes before relinquishing control back to me and then repeating if I tried again. I just recently finally got the thing to uninstall the programs

narcawticjdawg

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I've no clue how old the drive is but it's at least a couple years. It's my mothers, she bought it from a pawnshop a year back so I doubt we'd have warranty. I'm only using it until I can afford a new drive which at this rate might be never.

narcawticjdawg

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
It stopped beeping but I'm guessing that doesn't mean much. Diskinfo doesn't recognize the drive but I CAN access all the stuff on it without issue. It just randomly started doing this with overwatch. I had one other instance I think where it beeped but I'm pretty sure that was heat related since I cooled it down and it stopped.

https://gyazo.com/dd213f2ce0de1953e1c51097a2a19fee
E: is the broken one, it has nothing on it. F: is the new one that's just started acting up

Solution

narcawticjdawg

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Alright, thanks man. Any suggestions for a good gaming hard drive?