Hard drive benchmarking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drtanz

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
hm just noticed that when i start using this pc it gives an audible click and everything freezes. I have to restart the computer to get it back to work. This happens when im active on it for example working in dreamweaver, and doing some other thing in the background such as copying files from one hd to the other.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Your drive is not just having some higher speeds; its using DMA mode now which is a world of difference. As a result, you can also see the CPU utilization drop and you should have less issues with moving the mouse being choppy, etc.

However, your HDD may still be faulty. You have 1630 bad sectors that have been replaced with reserve sectors. That's a pretty large number; and the danger is that if it keeps growing, the harddrive will run out of reserve sectors and that would mean the disk has to be replaced.

You can check if this number (1630) goes up of if it stays the same. If it stays this number, there's no immediate danger to your disk. However disks can die quite suddenly, so be sure you have a backup elsewhere on another disk of the stuff you don't want to loose.

If i understand correctly, this is your system drive though, so some fluctuation would be expected due to background I/O during benchmarking. This can be seen especially due to the higher seek rates (the yellow dots) - in the last picture you posted these are more consistent than the picture before.

drtanz

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
thanks, would the freezing issue be connected to the hard drive as well, or is it some other component which would typically cause this failure?

sub mesa

Distinguished
Could you describe the freezing in detail? Freezing can happen if the I/O is slow to respond, which is virtually always the case when using PIO mode.

Do you still have the freezing after enabling DMA mode to the disks? In the last screenshot you posted, the PIO issue has to be gone.

drtanz

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
yes this happens with or without pio. I can leave the pc on all day playing music or playing movies (its a secondary pc and im usually working on another one), but when i start working on it, say transferring files from one disk to another and doing some other processor intensive operation like editing images, it gives this click and stops. It's not entirely predictable however, but it definitely happens when the pc is more busy than usual.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Can you do some surface tests of all HDDs in your PC? Just make sure the hangs/freezes are not caused by the HDD. It could be you're having multiple issues and the PIO issue was just one of them.

drtanz

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

how do i perform a surface test? i have hd tune dont know if it can be done using that or some other software

drtanz

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
i cant really speak of frequency as i dont use the pc actively daily, but whenever I try to use it for say image editing and i start feeling the processor being worked up, it does this thing basically you can hear he hard drive working and loading for example an image, then a loud click (similar to a toc of the clock) and silence, everything freezes and i have to switch off the pc

sub mesa

Distinguished
Does sound like a HDD issue, or perhaps a power issue.

But if its a HDD issue, it most likely will be included in the SMART logbook. SMART disks store the last 5 errors, and by looking at the date (relative to their power-on-hours SMART value) you can know if it happened some long time ago or just ago.

Even with all sectors being good, the HDD may still have some issues. The SMART values you posted (which is something else than the log book) do state 1630 reallocated sectors; so this drive does have some issues. Could you check again if this number changes? If it does; your drive is dying.

Also double check the cable; because the UDMA error count is not zero; which has to do with the data interface; the cable. This may just have happened over time though and is not a problem by itself.

drtanz

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
current 92 worst 92 treshold 63 and data 1630 so that is still as before. i've also changed the cable to make sure its not causing any issues. so if my pc locks up the best place to check for what went wrong is in the SMART logbook of the hard disk?

drtanz

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
i think the hd is really dying, now it restarted on its own and wont go past step 4 of checkdisk, getting stuck in 3-10% region each time :(