Hard drive broke down, pc won't boot into bios

SakisGamer

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
My hard drive (wd caviar blue 1tb) was pretty old and I was sure it would break any day now.Some days ago my pc wouldnt boot (not even in the bios, keyboard and mouse wasnt working) after shutting it down.The hdd light wasnt on so I guessed it was the hdds fault so I recinnected the sata cable and it worked, for some time.Today while I was browsing everything stopped working the hdd light was out but the pc was still on, so I guessed that that was it for my drive.My problem is that even after I remove the hard drive my pc still wont boot into bios and the keyboard and mouse still are not workin.How am I supposed to install windows through a disk to my new hdd if I cant even access the bios?What is wrong with my system?

MrJava

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Chances are it is the psu. The psu supplies power directly to the hdd and the mobo which powers the usb. Replace the psu, or get a sata enclosure so you can see if it is really your hdd(It most likely isn't)

SakisGamer

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
I just bought a new psu a few months ago (evga supernova 750g2)I still think it is the hdd because everytime the pc wouldnt boot I just disconnected and connected the sata cable and it worked, also the sata port was a bit wonky (the sata cable moved side to side a bit)

MrJava

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Does it get to the bios every time you start it? Take the hdd out and restart it a few times. If it goes to the bios every time you should be good with the psu. I'm worried about the usb problem you had. Try that and see if it works.

SakisGamer

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
Just tried again after taking the hdd out and it still wont boot into bios, also the pc wont turn off after pressing the power button for several seconds and I have to turn off the psu everytime :\
Edit: just tried to reset the bios and I still cant boot into the bios now im desperate