Hard Drive C: not able to create partition from unnallocated space

Nuno Fernandes

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
So, I have this problem with my internall HDD. I will try to give as much details as I can.
I have a HDD of approximately 300 GB. I have Bios, not UEFI, and the in the disk management it shows the disk as MBR.
When I first bought my laptop it had windows 7 pre-installed. However, i decided to install windows 8.1 after a year and some months. Then, and this is where it all begins, I decided to try to dual-boot Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu. It did not go as planned and I messed up windows, and could only access ubuntu after that. I then somehow fixed my HDD with the bootable Windows 8.1 pen drive and installed Windows 8.1 all over again. A couple months later, when Windows 10 came out, I upgraded (not clean install) to Windows 10. I than thought about trying to dual-boot ubuntu again as i thought I had found the problem I had earlier with dual-boot. I shrank my HDD in 40GB, so that I could use that space to install Ubuntu. However, I left it there and now, a few months after, i tried to make a partition out of those 40GB through disk management. However, an error occurs when i try to do it, something like "the selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID' and is both preceded and followed by a partition type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID' ". Using another disk management software (EaseUs) it shows the unnallocated space is of logical type.I really don't know what i may have done. I will attach some prints. The language is Portuguese but i believe it will be easy to understand. Can you please help me? Thank you for your time.
195uah.jpg

23ktfud.jpg

Solution

Nuno Fernandes

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

Thank you for your reply.
Shouldn't I be able to extend the C parttion however?
And can i convert the disk to GPT and then just create a new partition without losing any data?

No to extend the partition and the free space need to be contiguous.

There are couple of programs that claim to be able to convert from MBR to GPT but it is certainly not well supported and runs a significant chance of data lose. The only supported way is to wipe the disk and reformat.

Nuno Fernandes

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

Ok, I guess i will completely wipe out the HDD and clean install windows 10. How can I wipe the disk while using Windows installed on it? is that possible? Or will I have to use diskpart while I'm installing windows through the bootable device? If so, how can I do it? Thank you :)

Couple options.

Format it from diskpart install CD (hit shift + f10 to pull up the cmd prompt)
the install process itself has a place to create/delete partitions
or you could format from diskpart live CD

Solution