Hard drive cannot be formatted.

mike0615

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hello,
I can't format my external hard drive. It's 2.5 inch SATA Toshiba .5 TB. I only used it for about three months and now I can't access the drive using windows vista and windows 7. I brought it to the Toshiba service center and the shady looking guy said there's nothing wrong with it. Btw, I can access the drive using xp but not with vista and windows 7. I've tried everything I know like going to the disk management and format it from there but once I click "format" it says, "can't finish formatting." I've also tried the diskcheck software but it was taking ages to finish. After about 16 hours, it only read 7% percent complete so I pulled it off. I've also went to the extent of buying a new casing and transferred the disk into it but to no avail. Anyone encountered the same problem as this?

jmike0615

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah I've tried it on a different machine running windows 7 and vista and I still got the same problem. I wanted to try it on xp but all of my computers are running on vista if not windows 7. I just bought a new WD drive and inserted it to the enclosure I bought previously. Problem solved. Cheers!