hard drive capacity

Austen Robinson

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
Someone gave me a Thinkpad e430. I would like to put in a 1 tb drive but somewhere i read where the max it would support is 500GB.

Is there a limit on the size of drives for certain machines?

Follow up question, i took a HD out of an old machine (dell) and thought i could just plug it into the slot on the think pad and it would boot. Wrong!! It gave a blue screen of death for a second and then went into the routine of:

"Repairing disk errors. This might take more than an hour to complete."

However if you plug the drive back into the old computer it works fine.

Confused.

Solution
The dell drive had a Dell operating system on it that will only work with that PC. You cant just swap a drive with the operating system on it to anouther PC and expect it to work.

Any capacity drive should work. Some of the older external drive housings say 250gb capacity but will work with any size drive that was just the largest made when it came out.
This site has larger than 500gb as compatiable.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkpad-edge-e430#ssdResults

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The dell drive had a Dell operating system on it that will only work with that PC. You cant just swap a drive with the operating system on it to anouther PC and expect it to work.

Any capacity drive should work. Some of the older external drive housings say 250gb capacity but will work with any size drive that was just the largest made when it came out.
This site has larger than 500gb as compatiable.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkpad-edge-e430#ssdResults

Solution

Austen Robinson

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013

ok so can i get my windows 10 OS of my samsung and load it to a flash drive and copy it to the new clean drive and boot from there? Guess im somewhat confused because i thought if you had win 7 for example it would have at least booted the os or does the os add files from dell to it rendering it incompatible with other brands?