Question Hard drive choice

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Folks

I just bought a manufacturer refurbished HP elitedesk 800 G2 for my home surveillance system running on blue iris. Currently it has a 256gb Sata ssd for the OS. It also has a wd purple 8tb for all recordings. I’m wondering if I should perhaps make use of the m.2 port to add a 500gb nvme ssd for data that infrequently access like my outlook or spreadsheets or simply share some of the 8tb hdd space. I could also upgrade the sata sad to something bigger but heard nvme is the fastest

Thx

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Folks

I just bought a manufacturer refurbished HP elitedesk 800 G2 for my home surveillance system running on blue iris. Currently it has a 256gb Sata ssd for the OS. It also has a wd purple 8tb for all recordings. I’m wondering if I should perhaps make use of the m.2 port to add a 500gb nvme ssd for data that infrequently access like my outlook or spreadsheets or simply share some of the 8tb hdd space. I could also upgrade the sata sad to something bigger but heard nvme is the fastest

Thx

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
I have a spare drive at home but it's 5400rpm. Would that work almost as efficiently as a SSD for accessing files (Outlook, spreadsheets, etc) - Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRSDTL 3TB

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
I prefer not to use that if it'll be slow for daily operations. Which do you suggest - 2TB nvme or 2TB sata ssd?

Thx