Hard Drive Clicks

jrgt51

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
Hard drive is vertical on a Aleratec HDD copy devce.
if i read/write to the drive it will give a fairly solid click every 8 to 10 seconds.
if i leave it alone i dont hear the click.

by solid click i mean its not the scratchy clicks that are very rapid. this is more like a clunk type of click noise and i can even feel the drive sort of move as if it was flicked.

any ideas why this might be?

Solution
When HDD's start clunking, its usually because they are failing... I'd suggest you get any data on it that you do not want to lose backed up quickly, that's the first thing!

After that you can run chkdsk /f to try to fix any bad sectors, etc but it's likely gone past that. It will likely fail soon so if you can clone it off to another drive now would be a good time.

mips42

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

If you lay the drive flat does it still do it?

jrgt51

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
probably. I am using the Aleratec device as a way to connect several drives and see whats on them. not all of them click or make noises.

To answer your question, no i cannot. the device is not meant to be used sideways.

Phil-uk

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
When HDD's start clunking, its usually because they are failing... I'd suggest you get any data on it that you do not want to lose backed up quickly, that's the first thing!

After that you can run chkdsk /f to try to fix any bad sectors, etc but it's likely gone past that. It will likely fail soon so if you can clone it off to another drive now would be a good time.

Solution

jrgt51

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
it was a spare 500 GB drive that i cleaned using diskpart (windows would not recognize).

i just didnt quite know why it clunked once and not so often. other drives ive had clicked like 5 times in a second. this one is a big clunk every 8 or 10 secs. didnt know if this was normal. thanks,