Question Hard drive clone isn't working-Can't find a reason.

Feb 8, 2019
OK so I previously cloned by computer's OS disk from a 500GB to a 1TB hard drive. More space etc, made sense to me. I also have a 1TB secondary drive.

Recently I've been experiencing a dramatic and anomalous slowdown of my computer, SMART shows the spinup time has increased from 2,500ms to approx 7,000ms but hasn't tripped. I bought myself a brand-new 1TB drive, and used Macrium reflect to clone c:/ onto it. I formatted the drive. The cloning worked, got both the Windows and that funny little second partition over just fine. I remember I had to run a program to fix some boot record or table or something, but forgot this time.

So, immediately booted up the Windows recovery disk. Ran automated repair. Still doesn't work, comes up with error "0xc000000e". I looked it up, and saw a familiar-looking page with instructions to reconstruct the "boot record". I ran through those instructions, used solution #1 "bootrec.exe /FixMbr", then solution #2 "bootrec.exe /Fixboot" and finally #3 "bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd". None of them worked, I either get "error 0xc000000e" or something like (sic) "Boot manager missing". I have gone into BIOS at least three times to make sure the the boot order was OK.

So I thought I'd probably munted the clone, recloned from the old drive. Once again perfect, this time I ran through the instructions properly. I have run the automated repair several times now, each time it says it has detected and fixed a single problem pertaining to boot records. I have run through those commands from the command prompt again and again and again. I have gone into the BIOS, the boot order is fine. I can't see what's wrong, as this is not something I'm an expert (or amateur) in.

The errors do change depending on what the last command I entered was. Sometimes the Windows logo comes up, and it stays there indefinitely until manually powered down. Sometimes it says "error 0xc000000e" with some computer gobbledigook about using the installation disk to repair Windows (which I don't have). Sometimes it has a super-brief "Boot manager missing" taking up the topmost line. The "error 0xc000000e" often leads into a recursive loop where it says "launch windows repair", I run it, and it goes straight to "error 0xc00000e", I press any key to restart, it goes straight to Windows repair etc.

Does anyone have any idea what I have done wrong? I didn't have this problem the first time I did it, but I also never expected to have to do it again so threw away the instructions.

Feb 8, 2019
Isn't this "USB iso" performing the same function as a windows repair disk??
Yes it is.
If you can still boot into windows with one of your older disks you can use the free version of easyBCD to make all this work much easier.
Since the clone does start up you don't have to mess with MBR anymore just load in the bcd from the clone's "funny second partition" and see what's going on.
You can also set up a virtual machine (vmware player is free) and give it access to the clone so you don't have to reboot your system every time to test something out,make the changes run the VM check if it's booting.