Hard drive clone taking days

locutor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I’m cloning a failing system drive to a new HD. The cloning has run a day already, and the estimated remaining time keeps increasing (currently 48 hrs.) instead of decreasing. I know that errors on the source drive could be slowing the process and affecting the estimate. I’m inclined to let it keep running, but not if it stretches to a week or more.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice. The drive has about 900 GB of data and I’m cloning it with EaseUS Todo Backup Free. I can barely boot from it any more (after several CHKDSKs and startup repairs). Why clone a system drive with errors that prevent it from booting? In hopes that those errors will be more repairable on a good drive than on a failing one. If I have to buy a new system (this Dell XPS 8300 is six yrs. old), I at least need to pull whatever documents and other personal files I can recover from the drive.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Consumer HDs will attempt their best to read data off the disk. This includes retrying many many times. While I am not familiar with this situation, but it's not unexpected for it to take a very long time. That being said, I am not sure if there is a better way to approach the situation. I wonder if there are tools to skip over the bad data and just try reading the data that returns quickly.

USAFRet

Titan
In the unlikely even this clone operation actually finishes, you are probably dragging over some bad blocks and sectors to the new drive.

No guarantees on what will work.

I would absolutely NOT bother with trying to clone the whole thing. In fact, that may make getting the critical stuff, your personal data, much harder.

Install a new OS on a new drive, and connect this dying thing via a USB dock. And then, maybe....pull off whatever docs you need from it.