[SOLVED] Hard drive continuously cycling power?

coffeenfifa

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Product Name: X570 AORUS ULTRA (1.x)
BIOS Ver: F12e
Brand: GIGABYTE
Model: AORUS GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8G
Model: AMD 3700X
Operating System: Win 10 64-bit
Size: 32 GB
Power Supply: 750
Memory Part No.: F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

I'm having an issue for the past couple of BIOS updates on my Aorus X570 Ultra. One of my hard drives gets into a cycle of powering down and up for several minutes or hours at a time. The hard drive is an HGST HUS726060ALN610 (6TB) and I have tried three different hard drives of the same model with the same result. SMART is saying all hard drives are healthy.

I recently upgraded the BIOS to F12e hoping this would solve it, but it is still happening.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be happening?

Thanks!

Solution
Sorry for my late reply. I forgot to mention that this is the first thing that I tried and it didn't fix the issue.

I've now opened up the computer and changed the hard drive's SATA3 port, trying to rule out a faulty port. How common is it to have a faulty port on a mobo? I would think that a faulty cable is more likely to happen than a faulty port...
Possible only if there's a bad contact on particular SATA port, controller is same for all ports.
Other possible causes: Bad data or power cable or a bad contact on one of them.
Product Name:X570 AORUS ULTRA (1.x)
BIOS Ver:F12e
Brand:GIGABYTE
Model:AORUS GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8G
Model:AMD 3700X
Operating System:Win 10 64-bit
Size:32 GB
Power Supply:750
Memory Part No.:F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

I'm having an issue for the past couple of BIOS updates on my Aorus X570 Ultra. One of my hard drives gets into a cycle of powering down and up for several minutes or hours at a time. The hard drive is an HGST HUS726060ALN610 (6TB) and I have tried three different hard drives of the same model with the same result. SMART is saying all hard drives are healthy.

I recently upgraded the BIOS to F12e hoping this would solve it, but it is still happening.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be happening?

Thanks!
Windows ? Go to Control panel Power options and in your chosen power plan set "Turn off hard disks after" to 0.

Reactions: coffeenfifa

coffeenfifa

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Windows ? Go to Control panel Power options and in your chosen power plan set "Turn off hard disks after" to 0.

Sorry for my late reply. I forgot to mention that this is the first thing that I tried and it didn't fix the issue.

I've now opened up the computer and changed the hard drive's SATA3 port, trying to rule out a faulty port. How common is it to have a faulty port on a mobo? I would think that a faulty cable is more likely to happen than a faulty port...

Possible only if there's a bad contact on particular SATA port, controller is same for all ports.
Other possible causes: Bad data or power cable or a bad contact on one of them.

Solution