May 2, 2020
Few days ago my Asus FX504GE laptop crashed (freeze with sound looping) while I'm running a game for a few minutes (installed on D: Drive), and I had to hard restart it. But after that, I can't seem to find my D: Drive. It's not there on Disk Management, and it's not detected in BIOS as well.

This crash problem actually had happened sometimes before but I thought it's not a biggy since nothing bad happened afterwards, and I read that it won't damage any hardware.

I don't really want to open the laptop since it's still in warranty. Are there any possible "soft" solution to this?

Specification:
  • Asus FX504GE
  • Windows 10 Home
  • CPU - Intel i7-8750H 2.20GHz
  • RAM - 8GB RAM
  • GPU - NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB
  • Storage - 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB 5400rpm SATA HDD (the undetected one)

Steps that I have done:
  • Checking disk management & Rescan disk
  • Scan for hardware changes in Device Manager
  • Checking BIOS

P.S.
  • I currently can't go to ASUS Center since it was temporarily closed as precaution for Covid-19 spread.
  • All my college assignments are stored there, so I really appreciate all helps. Thanks :)

Solution
Drives don't have to "click" before dying.
I had a 5 week 3TB old drive go from seemingly perfect to absolute dead in about 36 hours.

I had a solid state drive go from 100% to dead in the act of just turning the system on again.

Drives die. All of them.
Sometimes you get a bit of a warning. Sometimes not.
But the only way to really protect your data is a good backup plan.
May 2, 2020
If its not detected in the BIOS or Disk Management...you're out of luck.
There is no software solution that can detect a drive that the actual system cannot speak to.
Well that's a bummer.. Guess I will wait until ASUS center opens up again.

But, do you know what might be the problem based on all the description I can gather? And would there be a chance of recovering data from it? Thanks!

May 2, 2020
From your description, it sound like it has been "dying" for some time.
That is pretty hard to hear.. Though I don't seem to have heard any clicking noise before.. But I guess I'll take it as a dead hard drive now.
Are there any chance that my data could be recovered from this dead hard drive tho?

USAFRet

Titan
I had a 5 week 3TB old drive go from seemingly perfect to absolute dead in about 36 hours.

I had a solid state drive go from 100% to dead in the act of just turning the system on again.

Drives die. All of them.

Reactions: ajulius_
Solution
May 2, 2020

Drives die. All of them.
That's harsh.. I'll wait for Asus center to open up and replace my hard drive I guess.
Thank you! :)

Till the time ASUS customer service center does not open up, you can try the free version of any data recovery software like Easeus, Recuva, or Stellar to run a scan and to check if they can find any data out of the corrupted or dead drive.

Well, maybe the chances are less but there is no harm to try the luck!
If the drive doesn't show up in BIOS or Disk Management, then no [logical] data recovery software, paid or free, will find any data.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
If the drive doesn't show up in BIOS or Disk Management, then no [logical] data recovery software, paid or free, will find any data.
Yep you need a disk rescue service and those are not cheap , eider way the drive will have to come out of the laptop. It's up to you if you value the data as much as to attempt a physical recovery or just call it a loss and get over it. Eider way, important data should be backed up, getting a cheap nas with some kind of redundancy or making one from an old pc is now really easy .

TRENDING THREADS