Question Hard drive diagnostic?

Mar 12, 2022
Hello, i frequently run crystaldisk info, to check for warning signs, and yesterday it showed yellow caution mark.
8 sectors pending, and 8 unredimable.
L6Wc70Q.jpg

So i cleaned it up from the useless stuff ididn't want, backed up on an external and rebooted.
This is what the program displays now.

PwrMqNx.jpg

Can anybody explain?
Is this a severe issue?
Can this disk still run for quite a bit?
is crystaldisk a reliable program?

According to this site:

Observing that uncorrectable sector count reset itself to 0 is a very bad sign. I did not found any other sources telling otherwise.

One physical sector (= 8 logical sectors) was marked for replacement after a read error. Subsequent retesting determined that it was good, and it was then returned to service. It could be that an off-track write caused the sector to be initially unreadable.

CrystalDiskInfo is reliable. It merely reports the SMART data that is returned by the drive.

Why do SMART tools report attributes differently?

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3093

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Hello, i frequently run crystaldisk info, to check for warning signs, and yesterday it showed yellow caution mark.
8 sectors pending, and 8 unredimable.
L6Wc70Q.jpg

So i cleaned it up from the useless stuff ididn't want, backed up on an external and rebooted.
This is what the program displays now.

PwrMqNx.jpg

Can anybody explain?
Is this a severe issue?
Can this disk still run for quite a bit?
is crystaldisk a reliable program?
Could be a one time glitch. Drive coulnd't read the sector and panicked?

I would keep an eye on the SMART for the time being and won't keep anything important/irrplecable on the drive unless there's a backup stored somewhere else. If there's backup you wouldn't really need to worry as failures happen to any storage drive.

Mar 12, 2022
One physical sector (= 8 logical sectors) was marked for replacement after a read error. Subsequent retesting determined that it was good, and it was then returned to service. It could be that an off-track write caused the sector to be initially unreadable.

CrystalDiskInfo is reliable. It merely reports the SMART data that is returned by the drive.

Why do SMART tools report attributes differently?

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3093

That was also what i thought, however I have no idea how concerning it is.
Supposedly this means that the sectors meant to be "burned" are already gone, and is now starting to deteriorate the "real" ones?

As always, the question not asked and answered...is this data fully backed up anywhere?
If not, why not?
Data is backed up, however i'd rather knnow what's going on, and learn new things that will be useful in the future.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Data is backed up, however i'd rather knnow what's going on, and why suddenly the issue is gone,according to the tool. the issue was also a recent one, as i check the program monthly.
There's no way to "know"
Recently, I had a 7 month old drive (16TB Toshiba) go from seemingly perfect to warranty replacement in 5 days. I just got the replacement back from Tosh a couple weeks ago.
Previous, a 3TB WD go from new to absolutely dead in about 36 hours.

Software (SMART) can indicate it is dying, but the drive lasts for several years.
Similarly, software can show NO issues, yet it dies tomorrow.

And OTOH, I have a whole lot of 2-4-5-10+ year old drive, doing just fine.

Reactions: Grobe
Mar 12, 2022
There's no way to "know"
Recently, I had a 7 month old drive (16TB Toshiba) go from seemingly perfect to warranty replacement in 5 days. I just got the replacement back from Tosh a couple weeks ago.
Previous, a 3TB WD go from new to absolutely dead in about 36 hours.

Software (SMART) can indicate it is dying, but the drive lasts for several years.
Similarly, software can show NO issues, yet it dies tomorrow.

In my life I only had 1 Hard drive collapse, I was probably very lucky, my old one was 7 years old, and never had isuess, and was still working when i replaced it.
Anyway as long as important stuff is backed up, it's just anxiety over when i'll have to deal with it. XD