[SOLVED] Hard Drive Died. Question About Power Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
With my hard drive dead, my case's power switch powers on the system, but it does not work when I try to power off, not even when I hold the power button down. Is this only because of the dead hard drive? Or, is it possible that my motherboard is also dead?

Solution
Easy way to determine...

Remove ALL connections to the drive and see if that cures the problem. If yes, you're done. If no, then return with full info on your setup.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU.

Is the dead hard drive the boot drive (C: ) ?

In the past how have you been shutting down: do you use the expected Windows shutdown icon or do you just power off via the case switch?

More information needed.

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Easy way to determine...

Remove ALL connections to the drive and see if that cures the problem. If yes, you're done. If no, then return with full info on your setup.
I have taken the hard drive out, that is, I disconnected both the SATA cable, and the other one ( I forgot what that one is for). So, you are saying, if my mobo is ok, my case's power switch should power on and power off when I hold it down?

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
All right, so, I've already bought a new hard drive to install, and I have my copy of Windows ready to install. Unfortunately, with no hard drive plugged in, the case power switch is NOT able to power off the system. Furthermore, I tried powering on the system with the new hard drive plugged in, and I am unable to boot the BIOS or any other boot menu. Is my motherboard dead?

I don't know how soon any of you will reply, so I have to go to Micro Center and buy a motherboard before they close. But, I'll go ahead and list my specs.

PSU: Antec 620W
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
CPU: AMD FX 8350
New HDD: Toshiba X300 8 TB
MOBO: Gigabyte 970A (or something)
Optical Drives: DVD-RW and BD-RW
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer (Discontinued)
Audio Card: Asus Xonar DSX

I think that is enough info for now.

Update: My motherboard came back to life! My Windows install is finishing up as we speak. Thank the spirits beyond that I do not have to buy a new motherboard (hopefully). What could have caused the motherboard to take so long to finally work?

Status
Not open for further replies.